General Critique Forum

jimiismydaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At first I thought this forum was a great idea, but now I'm starting to see its just not working. The statement, "critique on finished products" is kind of contradictory because if you say, "oh I like this picture, but it is too dark for my taste", then the author is gonna go back and lighten it, and therefore it belongs in the other critique forum. Theres some kind of saying that an artist never finishes his work. And no ones ever gonna have the same opinion as another person, so when that person says something about a photograph, that other person can possibly see that point of view and decide to follow, thereby changing their work, and thereby declaring it not finished.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone post a picture on this forum in the past with the title: "My Finished Product, Critique This Picture, But I'm Not Gonna Listen to You Because It's Finished and I Labeled It As Finished and I Can't Change It Because the Moderators Will Lock The Thread".

If you want to keep this forum, then the rules need to be changed to: "This forum is for thorough praising of a member's finished product, no critique please because then the artist will make changes to the picture and we will have to redirect it to the appropriate forum"

:lol: Well, you have to be mighty sure that you stand by your "dark" picture and if someone says, "I find it too dark" you are already prepared to hear it and don't really care.

If you post a picture for the sole purpose of waiting to hear what others tell you to do with it....then is it really "finished" in your own mind? ;)

When you have something you have worked on, the critical analysis forum is only for you to say "This is the best I've got, let me have it - I may or may NOT take your words under advisement for the future."
Study your images carefully. If you realize you'd be willing to change them, solely on the basis of a couple people's assessment, then you would be better suited to post them in the other "Technical" forum, because what you will have are actually works in progress.

Only you can decide! And this is how we learn. :) Try them both and see what you get back.

Enjoy!

I have to admit, that in these digital ages, through the use of photoshop, it's really so easy to immediately edit your photo when someone gives you a suggestion. There is really no "one" way to process a photo. You really have to develop your own style of processing, and as Terri said, stand by it. I've plenty of images that I've toiled over for hours and hours and I consider finished. I know not everyone in the world is going to love it. I know people will critique things about it. I'm prepared to hear that, and keep it in mind the next time I take a photograph.

I have to admit, that in these digital ages, through the use of photoshop, it's really so easy to immediately edit your photo when someone gives you a suggestion. There is really no "one" way to process a photo. You really have to develop your own style of processing, and as Terri said, stand by it. I've plenty of images that I've toiled over for hours and hours and I consider finished. I know not everyone in the world is going to love it. I know people will critique things about it. I'm prepared to hear that, and keep it in mind the next time I take a photograph.

But wouldn't you be tempted, just a little, to modify the shot based upon the critique??? And even then would it be "final"?

But wouldn't you be tempted, just a little, to modify the shot based upon the critique??? And even then would it be "final"?

It all depends on what was said, and if I feel it could help my image. If so, then I'll repost it in a new thread. This forum is supposed to about learning, and nobody is trying to stop that. Quite the opposite. We are trying to foster that.

Most reactions

Back