General Tips for a begginer, Please!!

Lostfiniel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am fully self-taught at this point and I am having a little trouble getting some of the technical aspects under my belt. I think what I really need most is an extra pair (or more) of eyes.

I know one of my biggest problems has been overexposing images. I am trying to get that a bit better. Bleh, I'll just post these and hope that someone is interested in giving some feedback.

2199651367_e88728a4ee.jpg

2195650603_93a7d4b576.jpg

2198690767_25cd9e8d8a.jpg

2058242539_bfde7a1340.jpg

2198690823_af3c9012ac.jpg

2200446588_7c9ac4de22.jpg

2058239557_d75698eff7.jpg

2057982829_e515b13deb_o.jpg

Thank you ahead of time!

Well the first two should be treated with suspicion as they are clearly bugged! Boom! Boom!!

Other than that they look good to me. Nice colours, nice composition. Only the baby is a tad dark.
If you're still struggling to understand the ins and outs of exposure then give this book a read (the forums most recommended book)

:thumbup:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think you have any trouble in the "composition" field. I think these are very nice (although I am still trying to figure out what the last shot is =o) )

Good stuff. There are nit-picky things in them but I'm not going to tear all of them down. I like them. The more that you shoot, and read up, the more critical you'll become of your own work.

I will have to point out that on the 2 portraits, a reflector would have helped on the shadows. I am just guessing that on the child shot; it was caught in the moment. If you reproduce that image as more of a portrait, hold a white reflector (a piece of poster board or "foam" [rigid] board under the face a little [around chest height]), this will point light towards the face.

Keep posting. I enjoyed them.

David

I think they look much better than what one would expect from a beginner!

with the two portraits i agree on a reflector would have helped getting more light to the faces. But also the very first image would benefit a lot from more light on the insect. For available light the images is very well exposed though.

in #3 and #5 the horizon is slightly tilted, which always bothers me when I see it... in particular with water which is known to follow gravity usually.

I do not like the composition with the bird at all. but then again you where shooting through bars, so maybe you did not have much flexibility.

"Only the baby is a tad dark."

I have a feeling that was because of the way I post-processed the image in photoshop. The original was slightly underexposed and had no contrast. I bumped up the contrast but I guess I went too far on the dark side.

I really want that book! I ran across a thread last night that seemed to only have praise from it. I'll be searching amazon and ebay as soon as my paycheck comes it :thumbup:

"(although I am still trying to figure out what the last shot is =o) )"

I had tried setting up a home-made light box. It was made out of cardboard, wax paper, various house-hold lamps, some construction paper and a tripod. One of the shots was a glass bottles with water and food coloring and some rocks. When I was looking at the image in photoshop on full-view I kept finding myself drawn to the textures of the glass and rocks.

"I will have to point out that on the 2 portraits, a reflector would have helped on the shadows. I am just guessing that on the child shot; it was caught in the moment."

Both portraits were in the moment. With the girl, I had an old camera and it was on automatic settings. I had never even heard of a reflector at that point. The baby was just yesterday so I don't have an excuse :p I would love to try getting the necessary equipment and trying again. I've seen a couple different rigs for backdrops and lighting that didn't look too or expensive and I want to give those a try.

"in #3 and #5 the horizon is slightly tilted, which always bothers me when I see it... in particular with water which is known to follow gravity usually."

Oh my, I hadn't noticed the horizons! Thank you, at least that is a pretty easy fix.

And thank you for all the advice! It's exactly what I needed

good job man.
you are not a beginner.
I like them all

Nice shots, a lot of them have really great color. I struggle a a lot with exposure too, it helps if your camera has a review function that shows you where your shot is over/under exposed, it also helps to get feedback or shoot with someone who knows what they are doing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back