general tips....

superspud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im new and doin a level photogrophy (uK) and i have a centon k100 slr camera (i know its not too posh) and i am looking for some general photogrophy tips and tricks.

any help greatly appriciated...

thanks,
Pete

Tip #1. Don't worry about how 'posh' your camera is! It's the person behind the camera that counts! :)

Now as for other tips, could you possibly post some more specific questions? There are so many aspects and so many different situations, that it's hard to help you out much without writing an entire book!

i dont really understand this iso rating on film... is this the caustic sensitivity or something....?

i also need some info on the asociation between apature and exposure rate.

i would also like to know what the little red screw on lense does. its something to do with black and white, reduces green or something, but i would like to know specific conditions of when to use it...

thanks alot,

I'm going to add my usual comment about these questions. Look for a book about photography (I prefer books by John Hedgecoe) because they will tell you soooooo much about the basics of photography. I'm actually about to buy the newest of his books because I like them so much and they are always helpful to have around.

Welcome to the forum!! You'll learn a lot here. I know I have.

Yes, ISO is the rating for film sensitivity. It has to do with the size of the grain on the film. Therefore, higher ISO film will show more grain than lower ISO film.

Do a search for basic exposure. Aperture is the size of the opening in the lens. Along with shutter speed, it controls how much light gets to the film.

If your camera gives a reading of F8 (aperture) and 60 (1/60 of a second shutter speed)...you can get the same exposure if you change both the shutter and the aperture. F11 would be one stop smaller and 30 would be one stop slower.

Aperture also controls depth of field. The bigger the aperture (smaller number) the less DOF you will have.

I'm not exactly sure when you would want to use a red filter. It will darken green so if you were shooting portraits with grass/trees etc. in the background...you would get more contrast between the green and something that was not green.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back