Getting a new camera

JWMatthews

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am new to the hobby. I used to own a Nikon Coolpix a few years ago. I wasn't really happy with it but I didn't have the money to buy a new camera either. Anyway, I am looking to get back into the hobby. I am a beginner so I don't really know much about cameras.

Since I live in S. Florida, I am looking for a camera that can take wild life photos and also time lapse photos of distant thunderstorms in the Everglades. I rarely take photos of people (have a smartphone for that) so any help would be great! I'd also like something that allows telephoto lens.

Price wise, I'd prefer something under $500 but I'll spend more if it's worth it. Thanks!

Price wise, I'd prefer something under $500 but I'll spend more if it's worth it.
Hi.

You can purchase a DSLR within your budget, but then you will have to spend quite a bit more to get a good telephoto lens.

Yea, that is fine. I am not planning on getting a telephoto lens for a while. I just basically want a camera that is good with wildlife, scenery, etc. and maybe in a year or two once I know the ins and outs, I will get a telephoto lens.

Best Buy has a Nikon D7000 with 18-140 VR lens for $629 with $3 shipping.
Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera with 18 140mm VR Lens Black eBay

also a D7000 with 18-105 VR lens for $575
Nikon D7000 16 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Kit Boxed with 18 105mm Ed VR DX Lens eBay

for a good wildlife camera thats pretty affordable, look around for a used D300 or D300s.
it has the 51pt AF module.

plenty of other deals if you look around.
I would look at the D7xxx series or a D300/s and get a camera with a built in focus motor. it will allow you to use AF on older lenses. you can get get older PRO glass for about the same price as new consumer grade lenses.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up getting a Nikon D3200 for $520.

Most reactions

Back