Getting close to a feral cat.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We fed this cat throughout the winter so it is getting used to me but still very wary.

$P6260001.jpg

$P6260002.jpg

Try telling it you love him or her!!! How you say? Look the cat in the eye, and then blink your eyes twice, with big, exaggerated,slow blinks, and then look away with your eyes and head downcast. That is the way cat's convey affection. Do that two or three times. You blink, then turn away, two or three times in a row. And no, I'm not kidding.

Staring at a cat directly shows threat or challenges. As you know, cat's don't vocalize very much. Most of their communication is gestural and body/tail clues.

Try telling it you love him or her!!! How you say? Look the cat in the eye, and then blink your eyes twice, with big, exaggerated,slow blinks, and then look away with your eyes and head downcast. That is the way cat's convey affection. Do that two or three times. You blink, then turn away, two or three times in a row. And no, I'm not kidding.

Staring at a cat directly shows threat or challenges. As you know, cat's don't vocalize very much. Most of their communication is gestural and body/tail clues.

Not sure I should try that on him, my wife just wishes he would go away.

Two days later... Ron shows up with bandages...

"Thanks Derrel... any more friggin advice?!"

:lmao:

Well, which one of you fed this cat over the winter? Was it you Ron, you old softie?! lol.

Once you start feeding a cat regularly...well, you're "its people." It's not your cat, you're its people. Funny how that works.

Well, which one of you fed this cat over the winter? Was it you Ron, you old softie?! lol.

Once you start feeding a cat regularly...well, you're "its people." It's not your cat, you're its people. Funny how that works.

Yeah.. cats have some attitude. Lol

Two days later... Ron shows up with bandages...

"Thanks Derrel... any more friggin advice?!"

Well, you are not far off the mark.

One time I was setting out some table scraps for him & he impatiently tried to grab them. Nailed the back of my hand, penetrating a vein, bled like crazy (I am on blood thinners). Thinking the blood flow would wash out any contamination I was @ ease. That night the pain in my hand was keeping me awake & the next morning it was obvious it was infected. We were supposed to be leaving on a trip but instead to the hospital. They drew a line with a pen around the infection & gave me a prescription for antibiotics & said if the infection spreads beyond the lines get back for IV antibiotics. I was lucky it did not spread.

$P5100004.jpg

Damn!

Now.. don't you feel bad Derrel? We might never have seen Ron again!

Naw, Ron's tougher than that--he has triumphed over much tougher foes than some feral kitty cat. He's a survivor.

After that experience Ron I would have ditched shooting the cat with a camera and moved on to a .22

Ferrell cats always make me laugh. My grandma (lived on the edge of a very small town) always took the scraps out to the cats. She would end up with a half dozen cats or more that came in for feeding time. As much as she loved the little ones, she hated the big toms that came in and dominated the food dish. So we would show up for a visit and she would turn to my dad. "Dick, I think it's time to take out some cats." (Yes, that is an exact quote.) So he would load shorts in the .22 and open the window on the back door shortly after Grandma fed them. She would stand right behind and over him, pointing out the ones she did and did not want "taken out".

Thinking bigger, she was the 1st grade teacher known as Mrs. Miller the Child Killer........

Good luck with yours, Ron. Pretty sure you are more tolerant than I would be, and a lot more tolerant than my grandma.

I love that top pic. You captured this cat so well.

Never know, he might appreciate these someday. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back