Getting it right in camera, or ....

Very true Gary, It's about making the image rather than taking the image. A little forethought goes a long way.

Some good discussion here about this topic. As I think about it, I guess that getting it right in camera is something that I started looking hard at in December. By this, I mean being able to shoot sports images for the paper in jpeg instead of raw. That way I can quickly get the images to them and not have to spend as much time processing images that aren't paying me a lot of money. That way I can focus on other things.

The issue that I am finding really hard about this entire process for me is that even if I get an image that I feel is right SOOC, I still feel like I need to work on it in either LR or PS.

PS- For me, it is a slippery slope once I easily accept correcting my errors in post. It makes an already lazy person even more lazy. Once I tell myself don't worry about that telephone pole, just center the needle on the light meter, the horizon doesn't matter, et cetera ... then I get lazy on other stuff, composition, the quality of light, direction of light and shadows, telling the story to its fullest, et al. My goal is to capture the exceptional photo, not the good or average image. For me, capturing the exceptional image require attention to detail at every step including post. But once I start cutting corners in the field, knowing I can fix it in post, my photographic skill level drops and my eye become less keen and I shoot reacting to the story instead of anticipating how the story will be unfolding and where I need to be and how best I should adjust the camera to capture my anticipated image. There is a difference between a photographer and a digital artist.

But this is me. We all see and shoot differently. I imagine most/all/some of you are not as lazy as I and are able to grow and increase your photographic skills while not getting it right in the camera. And I salute you. It is not a slippery slope for you. But for me, working on getting-it-right-in-the-camera is a challenge that I use to increase my photographic skills and not my post production image manipulation skills.

Composing a photo so that you capture the action in a split second with room to crop and giving room to ensure that you don't clip parts of the subject is still getting it right in camera. You are working with the the limits of action - sure you have to crop in editing, but you've made sure that you've got all of the subject you want in a repeatable manner that is reliable in-camera; instead of trying to compose perfectly and ending up clipping parts and missing a lot of shot because of the subject moving not where you want it to.

Again remember getting it right in camera isn't about getting it perfect; its about getting it as close as you can practically get. It's about not being lazy and just shooting without thinking; or going into the shot with the view that mistakes will be fixed in editing etc...

I suspect most who post to forums are already trying to or do shoot to get it right in camera. Indeed I think most photographers aim to do so because its far more pleasing to see your result on the back/first thing in the computer and be happy with that moment.

jcdeboever start a thread about that issue; you shouldn't be getting constant exposure problems with your camera; heck a dslr in auto should work as well as any point and shoot for getting proper exposure. Either something is up with the camera; or youv'e got a custom setting wrong or you've got an error in your shooting that is likely quite basic but which you're not aware of and thus can't fix. Post up some details and examples and we can see if we can work through that problem.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been PM'ing members here on various occasion that have or are using the camera but not much resolved. As far as posting, well I have found that can be somewhat a hornet's nest for a noob like me. I did that with my Sigma 150-600 issues and it made me confused and I ended up just sending it in like I thought originally, and it was defective x 2. I suspect I have a crap D7200. I am going to really get back to basics this year and shoot mostly film, as I am pretty much over the digital experiment. At some point, I want to start to produce quality images, very disappointed with digital in general. May be I have an analog mind? Probably just ignorant. I am not impressed with the D7200 at all for getting right in camera. The meter is off by -1 to -2 stops depending. Focus is way off as well, I printed a target and well lets just say, don't get me started, because it sucks... but common sense tells me that if I have to spend two hours with each lens I own to calibrate it in the camera, then there is an issue and it ain't me... thats what Nikon customer service tells me to do (fukstiks) and use your EC, I say why? is the meter not right with the sun to my back and I am close to my subject?.... silence..... Nobody tells you that crap in the reviews. The camera is a piece of crap. I am at a point of throwing it away, my most expensive camera and the worst of them all.

Last edited:
I consider 'get it right in the camera' a tool, not the goal.

Ok, got to thinking about this today. I see a lot of folks talking about "getting it right on camera", meaning of course getting the shot to the look as close to the final product as they can with minimal editing.

It seems to be a point of pride with many, a goal to which they aspire. I gave it some thought and realized, nope, not how I shoot.

I could very well be in the minority here, but for what I shoot getting it "on camera" is more important than getting it "right" on camera. When I shoot I'm usually shooting at something moving or something that could start moving at any given moment. For this and other reasons, such as the fact that I'm often working with some rather cluttered backgrounds, I generally shoot wide intentionally.

I don't focus on composition on camera, I just want enough room to make recomposing in post possible. At least for what I do I find it gives me the best final results, being able to decide in post how I want to frame things, what is going to lead to the best final result with the least amount of distractions in the background, etc...

So I'm kind of interested to hear from other folks there thoughts and opinions of "getting it right on camera". No right or wrong answers of course, just curious as to other peoples thoughts on the subject.
I think that get it right in camera is ok for some types of studio work, but it really just shows a lack of ability to do good editing. Not every photographer is an artist and sometimes getting a good documentary shot is the most important thing, in those cases getting it right in the camera is a must.
Shooting high resolution video works for some things as well because it lets you find the frame for the content you want and then be able to crop for composition and still get a good resolution print from it.

I used to see a lot of photos labeled as SOOC as if that was a good thing or a bragging point and to me it just said NVGAE (not very good at editing). But of course sometimes a document is what is needed, I like making artwork though and that takes a fair amount of editing and a high skill level.

Lots of really good input on this one so far.

My approach to capturing images is dependent upon the goals I have.

My position on this is that I'll do whatever's necessary to create the image I want. That usually means putting a tremendous amount of effort into getting the capture as good as possible in camera (more on that, below). But it also includes whatever I feel like doing in post. (more, below). So I do a combination of both, with a priority on the capture, and then backup support from editing.

Getting it right in camera, for me, means capturing the highest quality possible, from a technical standpoint as well as an artistic standpoint. For example, getting as close as possible to the subject (usually wildlife or macro...and getting close ethically, mind you) to avoid having to crop significantly. Less cropping means higher quality in most cases. Do I account for post processing cropping options by not always filling the frame? Sure, when appropriate or needed. It all depends on the situation. Then there are things like sharpness, shutter speed, DOF, lighting, and the list goes on. All important to me to get right in camera.

The biggest one for me, as a fine art image creator, is the clean background and lack of distractions. I'll do whatever I can in the field to get that. I'll plan for it, scout locations, decide when I should not shoot, move around and position myself for a clean background, lay on the ground, etc. The advantages to getting the background right in camera are: More natural looking result, higher image quality, less time spent in post processing, etc (changing or blurring a bg behind a wildlife or macro subject can often be extremely time consuming, challenging, and may not always result in a natural looking and high quality image.) To summarize, for me, getting it right in camera is about making the highest quality fine art image possible. And I often make close up portraits of birds and other detailed subjects, requiring all of these technical things to be done well in camera.

On the other hand, I'll do whatever I want in post processing to create the image I want. I create art, not documentary images. So if I did everything I could in the field, but still couldn't get everything "perfect" I will do something about it in Photoshop. The main point, which others mentioned, is that I'm using it as a tool to polish the best shot I could capture, not as a crutch to fix a lack of skill, or laziness.

It's all about knowing what I want to create and then doing what I need to in order to make it happen. That's it.

I do what's best for the situation. Sports (speed) .. macro (dof, angle perspective on the object, etc). portraiture. It's all different.

When aircraft are coming 100+mph towards you, you get the shot and the priority is your focus point and shutter speed. And making sure you get the entire plane in the shot. You don't have much control over anything else. That is similar to sports. The action is moving and changing your viewing perspective.

Taking macro, portraiture, landscape .. try to get the shot as perfect as possible making sure white/bright areas have detail, etc

I started doing some portraits for friends and family in my garage recently. I have some umbrellas and a couple of flashes and I bought a huge piece of white muslin fabric for a backdrop. Well the muslin has some wrinkles in it that I ironed out the best I could but some I couldn't get rid of. I figured getting the subject away from the backdrop and blurring out the wrinkles in Photoshop would be easy but I couldn't have been more wrong. They look horrible and it's a nightmare getting rid of the wrinkles without making the picture look "fake".

I think if there are problems a person is seeing when shooting and saying "thats OK I can just fix it in post" it might be worthwhile to rethink the approach. But I hate with a passion having to do any kind of extensive editing in Photoshop so maybe it's just me.

In my field I have the option to take my time in composing the image and grooming the set/model before taking the shot. Clothes should be pinned if they don't fit right, otherwise there will be liquifying to be done later. Clothes should be steamed otherwise I'll have to spend ridiculous amounts of time fixing it in post; the same goes for making sure the hair looks good or the makeup isn't smudged. I know that if I don't take the time to fix these and similar issues before taking the shot, I'll be forced to spend a lot more time editing it later than what it would take to "get it right in camera", just to get a result that will likely be less than ideal compared to fixing the issue before the exposure is made. I just don't have the attention span or patience to do that much editing, so I put the work towards getting it right before the editing part. When I see people preaching "get it right in camera", I interpret it as good advice because it will save you time and work in most cases.

Last edited:
I bought a huge piece of white muslin fabric for a backdrop. Well the muslin has some wrinkles in it that I ironed out the best I could but some I couldn't get rid of.
Have you tried using a steamer on it?

Getting it right in camera for me means nailing peak action, nailing the focus, getting my lighting the way I planned.
I can always crop but I cannot afford to lose that perfect moment while trying to frame it "perfectly."

When shooting film, especially slide, I try to get as much right in camera as I possibly can. With digital this is not as important but I still make an effort because it makes for better options in post the more I nail in camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back