Getting my business tax ready and possible LLC?

krystalynnephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I have been researching and trying to make sure that my business will be legal and I won't get myself into tax trouble. I am considering an LLC and have been reading all over the North Carolina DOR website... It's starting to just merge together and get blurry. There is so much information...

Can someone just break it down barney-style for me? What do I need to do?
I can't just go talk to a professional, as I'm living in Japan right now, for 2 more years. If I could, I don't know where to go.

Any help or info will help. Thanks a lot!

I am considering an LLC and have been reading all over the North Carolina DOR website

I'm living in Japan right now, for 2 more years.

Well the North Carolina DOR is not going to help you set up an LLC in Japan. You should be looking at what it takes to set up a business in Japan, after all that is where you live.

I am considering an LLC and have been reading all over the North Carolina DOR website

I'm living in Japan right now, for 2 more years.

Well the North Carolina DOR is not going to help you set up an LLC in Japan. You should be looking at what it takes to set up a business in Japan, after all that is where you live.

LOL thanks, for what should've been obvious, but I should have been more clear. I am a military wife, living in Japan for two more years. I am still considered a resident of NC. Thanks.

You have to talk to a tax professional. There is no easy way around it. Do a phone consultation if you have to. There will most likely be a charge, but it will be worth it in the long run.

You have to talk to a tax professional. There is no easy way around it. Do a phone consultation if you have to. There will most likely be a charge, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks Kathy! I appreciate it.

LOL thanks, for what should've been obvious, but I should have been more clear. I am a military wife, living in Japan for two more years. I am still considered a resident of NC. Thanks.

Like has been said you can talk to some one in the states by phone.

You should also still talk to someone about properly operating a business in Japan. Can you even legally run a business in Japan when you are not considered a resident there.

I'm guessing you are either a serving military member or the spouse of one. If that's the case, then be sure to speak to someone who understands the unique aspects of associated with being a deployed service person/spouse. Depending on your situation, you may in fact be able to set up an LLC in your state of declared residency.

Like has been said you can talk to some one in the states by phone.

You should also still talk to someone about properly operating a business in Japan. Can you even legally run a business in Japan when you are not considered a resident there.

I have all corners of running my business here, on island, completely covered. That's not what is in question, but the part that I still have to bother with back in the states, even though I am not there.. Thanks for your reply.

The easiest way to set up any kind of corporation, including an llc, is by using one of the companies that do only this.
For about 250, they will provide all of the documents, etc. that you need to file with the state.
Typically they do business in Delaware, the most friendly business state in the country, but you can also file in your home state.
If you get an llc in another state, you will need a resident agent in that state to act as your legal representative there; if you use one of these companies that is included.

The biggest hurdle is getting the articles of incorporation but these are essentially templates and are freely available in a web search.
The Secretary of State of North Carolina or the county in which you incorporate will have all the tax info.
The Tax information number (TIN) or EIN (Employer information Number) is easily available online.

How to File Articles of Incorporation in Nc: 8 Steps - wikiHow
https://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/Forms.aspx?PItemId=5429715&Type=LimitedLiability%20Company
Govservices EIN application - Obtain your Federal EIN online

I have done this perhaps a dozen times for small organizations and companies and, except for filling out paperwork, there's no problem.

Lew

I would first check on post before calling home. Your situation is a very unique one that most civilian CPAs, etc may not be familiar with. While I'm not a US military member, I have spent a lot of time on US facilities and working with USN personnel, and I do know that there are usually very good services available on-post. You may have to do nothing, you may not be allowed to do anything, but you may be allowed (depending on the MOU for your post) to do all sorts of things. If nothing else, try JAG.

Most reactions

Back