Getting My New Nikon D40 & I Have a ?

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well today is my birthday and my wife surprised me with a gift of cash to go buy my Nikon D 40. I am so happy to step up into the dslr world. Gonna go this afternoon to buy it. Getting the package deal with the two lens. My ? is the place I think I am going to purchase from has a sale on sd memory cards 3 2gb cards for like 55$. Is it better to get one larger card or is having 3 smaller cards just as good? Any thoughts or comments on anything to do with this camera please shot away as I would love to hear them before I buy.

i prefer 3 smaller cards because if one breaks you arent out of all your photos.

Spreading memory out over multiple cards can be a life saver... besides, nobody wants to lose an 8gb card at the end of a trip and lose XX,000 photos AND be totally out of memory

I prefer 3 x 2gig.... one stays in my camera bag... the other two i swap back and forth from the computer to the camera....

If you have only one... you are more apt to take your camera out for pictures with no card because it's still jammed in the computer from the last upload...

also - what Stranger said is smart too..... if your big card breaks you are s.o.l. until you get to the store... this is what the third card resting in my camera bag is for....

Good luck with you D40

Congrats on your birthday, Stickman. And that is sound advice from the other posters: 3x 2GB cards makes more sense than one huge one.

For the D40, even 2GB cards are fine. RAW files are about 5MB and Normal/Large JPEGs are 1.5MB. A 3 x 2GB bundle sounds good.

Well I went ahead and go the package this afternoon. Went with the D-40 with the two lens. I upgraded on the 55-200 lens to the vr model, since i tend to have a shakey hand. As for the cards they were out of the 3 pack sale deal and i go the shaft i think. They kept insisting i need a hs/sd card i thought that was not correct put in the end bought a 2gb one for 39$. I really think i go the shaft and am thinking of returning it(memory card) Thoughts?????????????? Can i use a reg. sd card and be fine???

I also picked up a tristar filter combo or 52mm uv filter / circular polarizer filter with carrying case for 30$ at there recomendation.

all sounds fantastic to me

except yeah the card sounds pricey! you can getregular 2GB SD cards for $7 so you could take that back and order a couple online!

I'm thinking of getting this same deal....how much was the total with the upgrade larger VR lens?

thanks and congrats!

Well I went ahead and go the package this afternoon. Went with the D-40 with the two lens. I upgraded on the 55-200 lens to the vr model, since i tend to have a shakey hand. As for the cards they were out of the 3 pack sale deal and i go the shaft i think. They kept insisting i need a hs/sd card i thought that was not correct put in the end bought a 2gb one for 39$. I really think i go the shaft and am thinking of returning it(memory card) Thoughts?????????????? Can i use a reg. sd card and be fine???

I also picked up a tristar filter combo or 52mm uv filter / circular polarizer filter with carrying case for 30$ at there recomendation.

Check your local Wal-Mart if you want to have a card to use right away. They have 2 2gb SD Cards for about $25

You might be able to find a better deal online, but you'll have to wait for it to be shipped to you.

And from what I've read here, you shouldn't need the high speed cards. Maybe someone can verify that for you.

Total Package
Nikon D-40 with 18-55 reg lens was 499.99

with 2 lens; 18-55 & 55-200Reg lens was 599.99

upgrade to vr 55-200 lens was 250.00

so after adjustment for removing the reg 55-200 of $100.00 a total of $650.00

So in reality it cost me a extra $50.00 from what i was org planning on buying ( the two lens kit)
Then

$39.00 for a 2gb sandisk extreme III sd card

$29.00 for the Tristar uv / cir. polarizer filters

$50.40 in nj tax

With the package I bought came a free gear bag and some dvd(which were both backordered) no charge, lol its figured in there cost somewhere right!!

Grand total: 770.36

I bough this at Ritz Cameras in NJ. They gave me a gift pack which had some photo paper in it, As well as 16 tickets to attend there 1.5 hrs classes they hold. It takes two tickets per class so I get 8 free classes. It also had Photo dvd from them. A free custom hard cover 12 picture photo book, 20 free prints, and a free photo dvd of your 20 prints. They had a offer going where you bought a epsion cx7400 photo printer for 75.00 and it was a 75.00 mail in rebate, so it would be free in the end. ( but i passed)

They kept insisting i need a hs/sd card i thought that was not correct put in the end bought a 2gb one for 39$. I really think i go the shaft and am thinking of returning it(memory card) Thoughts?????????????? Can i use a reg. sd card and be fine???

definitely return it. staples is having a sale on a 2pk of 4gb cards for $29. i just bought two today. can't beat it. check their website for the offer.

The Extreme III is most definately and good card. That is about all I use. Congrats on the new toy and remember to read the manual alot to get the most out of your camera. Now go out and shoot.

Thanks for all the great thoughts and answers. Today was a great day!!!! I did land up using the current card as I was eager to shoot. I will however prob go pick up the two 4gb card special, thats a great deal.
I look forward to many hours of learning and posting my ?'s here. The support on this site is amazing!!!!! Thanks again.

Congrat~ for the new camera!!

BTW .. Happy Birthday!:cheers:

Most reactions

Back