Getting paid sports work - who to talk to?

Brand000n

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
composeclick.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a decent sized portfolio of basketball photos and I'd like to shoot for newspapers, magazines, teams, whatever. My question is, who do you send your portfolio to? Journalists? Editors? Head photographer of the sports department? Honestly I have no idea. I just want to get my portfolio to people who can help me get my foot in the door without spamming the people who don't have the authority of hiring me.

I'm currently living in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, so this is a long shot but I'd like to give it a try

This is a tough one. I would try the photo editor/art director of magazines. Newspapers generally have their own staff and usually have a long list of freelancers as well. Try the assignments editor or photo editor at the papers, if they even have have on anymore. Cut backs are making it tougher all the time to freelance for the papers. Look to some web based magazines, there may be a better opportunity there as well. Even give Getty a try.

I have a decent sized portfolio...

I'd actually be interested in understanding how to come up with an effective size & format for a portfolio like this. I've got no interest in BB, but I'm working on a motorsports portfolio, and I imagine there's a fair bit in common with respect to appealing to publishers.

What's the best way to catch their eye?

The best way is to produce exceptional images. If you look at what's available online you'll see just how many average images are being produced, and then you come across images that just blow you away. Those are the ones that publishers are interested in, and generally they are being shot by photographers that have been connected to motorsports for a very long time.

I'm pretty good with a camera, and know that I could do a decent job shooting motorsports, but compared to the shooters at the top, I'd look like I just picked up a camera. It's not difficult shooting motorsports, it's difficult creating images that are always different. This is the base for putting a portfolio together.

I'm a BIG proponent of getting yourself out there. Don't telephone, don't e-mail, walk into offices, knock on doors, call for appointments...but try and actually see someone with the power to make decisions. This generally involves a LOT of persistance, and occassionally making a pain of yourself, but it pays off (usually). Get a nice 10-15 image portfolio in a presentation case, along with smaller ones of 6-8 images and your bio, so that the first time you knock and don't get to see anyone, you can leave the package behind (be sure to include your contact info!). You might need to do this 2,3, 10 times, but chances are it will make a LOT more of an impression a lot more quickly than e-mailing some faceless organization's generic 'info' address.

Put together a STRONG portfolio of your 12 best images. Then get meetings with photo editors from the magazines / newspapers you are interested in. Sports tends to be very current event driven so you could also try Getty or Associated Press.

I'm a BIG proponent of getting yourself out there. Don't telephone, don't e-mail, walk into offices, knock on doors, call for appointments...but try and actually see someone with the power to make decisions. This generally involves a LOT of persistance, and occassionally making a pain of yourself, but it pays off (usually). Get a nice 10-15 image portfolio in a presentation case, along with smaller ones of 6-8 images and your bio, so that the first time you knock and don't get to see anyone, you can leave the package behind (be sure to include your contact info!). You might need to do this 2,3, 10 times, but chances are it will make a LOT more of an impression a lot more quickly than e-mailing some faceless organization's generic 'info' address.

Ok, that's definitely out of my comfort zone, but I can see the merit in this approach. Looks like I picked up another to-do. ;-)

Ok, that's definitely out of my comfort zone, but I can see the merit in this approach. Looks like I picked up another to-do. ;-)
That's actually a very good point. If somone is going to take this on at the professional level (as in, "Get paid for it") you need to be comfortable doing just about anything and talking to anyone. There will be times when you need to take charge of a team of ball players or whomever to get the shot, and if you're shy or lack "force", you're NOT going to get very far.

My Dad has always said to set yourself apart these days you have to walk into a meeting with a dozen great images printed, so that they can physically hold them. Everyone sends disks, or links to web sites, and I am guessing that in most cases they may get glanced at and not much more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back