Getting people to buy my equipment.

Bryce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been taking pictures of animals mostly in macro for some time now. I have been more interested in making a studio. My brother called and asked if I wanted to come and do his wedding photography. He said to make a list of what I would need and let them know so they can help me get the stuff. I thought since I am needing more equipment and I need practice this would be a great opporunity to get some equipment. My mom thinks it is unreasonable to ask for so much especialy since I am not professional and he probably is wanting a deal at a nonprofessional cost. He is in Maryland and I am in Florida and this is my shopping list. Am I being fair in my request or have I over stepped. I am telling him the figures on Friday.

Polaris Flash meter $185.00
Interfit EXI 200 watt umbrella and light box kit with case $369.00
Interfit reflector kit $89.00
Adapter for the kits to camera $23.00
Strobe Flash $220.00

Total $886.00

personally i hate doing any business with family. you always have that feeling of trying to be professional, yet "it's your family" feeling. IMO, doing a contract work it's by no means unreasonable to roll equipment cost into the price, but for family, just make sure you take REALLY good pics else have him, or (your mom) hold that over your head for a while.

Do you think your photography is worth 886.00?

You do not really need an exposure meter,Do you?

Are you selling your 50mm 1.8? And will it work with a Canon? ;)

EDIT: I winked, but I'm kinda serious! :)

Last edited:
If your brother has that kind of money extra; go for it. If your brother is like my aunt and uncle (who just got married) and don't, don't. I didn't ask for anything because I knew they didn't have it. I did the best I could with what I had. The pictures would have turned out much better with a faster lens, but neither they, nor I could afford one.

So, it just depends on how loaded your brother (or his soon to be parents-in-law) is, lol.

Do you think your photography is worth 886.00?
I would normaly say no just because I am a modest person. Looking into my travel from here to there and tons of other cost I am going to acrue and not having a job to compensate for other expenses and also seeing some of the crazy prices professionals charge I think it is worth it for me and he still saves a couple bucks. I am going to have to show up and evaluate the scenery. I am going to get all my f stop and shutter speeds in advance for the previous day. I will take my computer and spend the whole next day doing any touch ups the pictures may need. Just the travel is an inconvenience not to mention getting care for 30 snakes, 2 dogs, 4 cats, 3 geckos, and god knows how many mice. If I get the equipment too late I may not be ready. I have a month to spend some modeling time with a girl I know and maybe do some other stuff with here and she will work with me on everything before I go so it won't be like I am jumping in not knowing what is under the water. 3 days of work and expenses 886 is starting to seem pretty fair.

That might be a good point. I also am not sure what the parent in laws are going to put into this one.
If your brother has that kind of money extra; go for it. If your brother is like my aunt and uncle (who just got married) and don't, don't. I didn't ask for anything because I knew they didn't have it. I did the best I could with what I had. The pictures would have turned out much better with a faster lens, but neither they, nor I could afford one.

So, it just depends on how loaded your brother (or his soon to be parents-in-law) is, lol.

This lady just sold a brand new canon 50mm 1.8 to my friend for 50 bucks. She bought it because someone told her to and she had only used the kit lense and liked it so whe did not want the 50. She would have felt different had she used it. As for mine I just got mine. Nikon is for Nikon only. I love that lense and I don't have a job so anything I get rid of I can't replace it. You can get a canon 50mm 1.8 on Amazon for under a hundred.
Are you selling your 50mm 1.8? And will it work with a Canon? ;)

EDIT: I winked, but I'm kinda serious! :)

Hey Misstwink!
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1281588938&sr=8-3&condition=new]Amazon.com: Used and New: Canon - Lens - 50 mm - f/1.8 II - Canon EF[/ame]

Are you charging him a fee or not? The more professional thing to do is to draw up a contract with a price that would seem fair for the job, and perhaps enough for you to cover the expenses for the equipment. It seems quite "tacky" to get him to buy you equipment which you will be using in the future for other jobs. If it's so much of an "inconvenience", I suggest you decline and drop the whole thing. I mean, he's only your brother, and ya know, his wedding comes only once (or so I hope).

My first advice is to draw up a contract between yourself, your brother and his future wife - this is critical since it protects you both and acts as a clear outline of what you are both going to put in and take out of this transaction. I know its only family and if it was just a few portraits I wouldn't bother, but if you are going to be "the" wedding photographer then its a onetime, none-repeatable event and having that contract is important should anything possibly go wrong (eg your camera breaks, your gear gets stolen, etc..).
It is also a prime time to make sure that you get all their demands in - many will say "just go shoot some photos" and not think on it much till after when they tell you that they really wanted shots of "so and so" and of "such and such and event. Thus sitting down with them and going though (maybe more than once) the shots that they want from the day is important - make sure to build into this the intiniary for the day (so you can plan your movements) as well as try to get any mugshots of key people they might want pictures of (weddings tend to draw in fringe and distant relatives and often photos of these people are wanted by the bride/groom/family). Having a good best man/leading lady (is that the right term?) helps here as on the day they (and not the bride/groom) should be your go to person for who is who at the wedding (you have the bonus here that at least one half of the congregation is your family).

I think your mother is correct that your brother is looking for a cheap option in getting a wedding photographer and I do think that you both need to sit down and think about this seriously (whilst poor photography won't poison the guests like poor food can it can be a bone of contention for the future if you should happen to fail or underperform (in their eyes*). You need to be honest about your abilities and your gear setup. I don't mean talk down about yourself, but I also don't mean to oversell yourself - be honest and clear about what you can and cannot deliver.

I would also add in that you need practice and scouting - practice at wedding style photography so try to find a local photographer who is willing to let you ghost them as a second shooter - letting you get experience whilst also being able to experiment without the pressure to perform - you can fail the whole day and still not harm anyone (provided of course that you retain a professional level conduct and respect both the family and the working photographer there with you).
Scouting wise might be harder since you appear to be in different states but you really need to see where their wedding will take place. I would put this and ghosting (you might have to pay to get it) above gear requirements - because its skill building and in this side of things its the skills that are what you need. Good gear helps I won't deny that fact, but if you've not the skill at using it and at working in a pressured, difficult environment then that is where you might come unstuck.

Myself I would be more inclined (especailly if you don't have time/access to get experience beforehand) to tell them to keep the money and try to hire a more experienced working professional and to have yourself second shoot on the day (NOT with the intent of undercutting the pro - if you are second shooting you are second shooting to them and you defier to them rather than second shoot on your own - if you just want to take a few odd photos then take your camera and a lighter setup and just get the happy snaps whilst being a part of the general congregations.

*remember you are not a pro and you admit to this - this is a problem since not being a pro means that you have less of a leg to stand on to defend your work and your ability - you could shoot perfectly and still "fail" in their eyes and because of your status have little to defend yourself with

Most reactions

Back