Getting perfectly straight verticals without editing?

plaxico89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I've recently started contracting with a real estate company that is particularly strict about getting verticals straight, as they contract out their editing separately and don't want the editors to have to spend much or any time straightening the photos.

What I'm finding is that I can't quite get my vertical lines perfectly straight even when using the bubble level on my tripod and electronic level on my 5D Mark III. This is true when using both my Canon 24-105mm and on my Rokinon 14mm, where there is significantly more distortion. When using a combination of profile corrections and the "Upright" panel in Lightroom, I can get the verticals 99.9% perfect, but my suspicion is that I might be doing something wrong in camera or that I need additional equipment. I've seen some people say that they use a bubble level hotshoe or as the tripod head reading is approximate. I think this may be the case as my Benro tripod seems to lean very slightly due to the weight of the camera.

To be clear, I'm not trying to get straight lines while tilting up or down, just getting straight lines with the camera totally level.

I'm wondering if people are generally able to get lines straight in camera or it's just something that really always requires editing.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I've never been able to do it but I know someone that has one of those expensive PC lens that does, at least for him. However, I borrowed it for a day and there is a definite learning curve to them as I botched a bunch of shots with it, they were darn sharp though.

They make a hot shoe attachment bubble level if you think that would help you...

Remember the bubble level is levelling to gravity not to the subject, so from some angles or on some not perfect situations/structures/etc... a bubble won't get you perfection every time.

Also don't forget that the computer screen makes it easier to view things so small adjustments are likely to always be possible.

A tripod head that leans a little could be an issue, you might also find that a geared tripod head such as a manfrotto Junior Geared head (don't let the junior fool you, its a good professional head) lets you have the finer control over each axis that you need. Coupled with a bubble on the camera hot-shoe and this could be what you're after for that in-camera shot.

First, you need to identify whether the vertical lines aren't 100% plumb due to

a. user error
b. tripod balance issue
c. lens distortion
d. perspective distortion

I'm wondering if people are generally able to get lines straight in camera or it's just something that really always requires editing.
No, and I'm very good at "seeing".

Just do it in post-capture editing like everybody else.

Patience.

Take your time. It's not like your subject is going to get tired and move.

One last thing to consider is you've taken all this time to ensure your gear is plum and level......are you sure the subject is? We used to run into this in the Navy and have to tell newer people when taking measurements, take them of the ship not from your level since no ship ever sits level.

If you're shooting through the viewfinder, align your vertical lines with the focus points. If using live view, enable the grid overlay. Either way, make sure to shoot a little wider than needed to account for any straightening or lens corrections in post processing and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
All you can do is keep things level horizontal and vertical and if the property is very tall, you are SOL.

Since you have a nice camera I'll mention these three words ...
Tilt Shift lens

Since you have a nice camera I'll mention these three words ...
Tilt Shift lens
You forgot the forth word.....Expensive. :allteeth:

Rent one.
fiufiu.gif

Most reactions

Back