Getting ready to order my D700!! Worth it?

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm SUPER excited. I'm getting ready to order a Nikon D700. I've been wanting to upgrade (D40 right now), is the money worth it?? I'm so nervous. I don't want to get an in-between camera. I figure if I'm going to upgrade then I'm going to UPGRADE. I just hope I love it as much as I hope I'm going to!!

So, I'm SUPER excited. I'm getting ready to order a Nikon D700. I've been wanting to upgrade (D40 right now), is the money worth it?? I'm so nervous. I don't want to get an in-between camera. I figure if I'm going to upgrade then I'm going to UPGRADE. I just hope I love it as much as I hope I'm going to!!

well that's a hell of a jump. what type of photography do you plan on using it for? what do you have for supporting gear i.e. lenses, flashes, etc?

I was in you shoes a couple months ago. Have you looked into the D90?
So fair I'm real happy with mine and it was a good jump From the D40 for me.

What are going to use it for?

I think the D700 is a great camera and is even a good deal compared to other high end cameras.

As with most high end digital cameras, it really does help to have high quality lenses to take advantage of the high quality sensor.

D700 is a great camera. Whether it worths the money or not, it varies from person to person. If money is not a big issue, I will get it. It seems that you have 50mm F/1.4 lens (based on the flickr exif info) and that should work great with the D700. (By the way, great photos you have there in your flickr account)

Well, I have a AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.4 G, an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 4-5.6 G, and the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 GII...... I just bought a SB600 Flash and I have some lighting stands, backdrops stands etc... I LOVE my D40, but it doesn't do well in low light and I feel I could really take my photography to the next level if I had a better camera.

Oh, and I mainly shoot portraits....in particular babies and children!! :)

Thanks dao! So my 50mm (which I use most anyway) should work just fine? Whew...you all were scaring me there for a minute! I know I have to buy a new memory card, but I thought the rest of my stuff was compatible.

If I am not mistaken( since I do not have Nikon camera) the only lens you have that can take the full advantage of the D700 is the 50mm lens. I believe the other 2 are DX lenses.

Yes, they are. Can I still use the others? What will happen? I know, I know....I should do the research on the difference between fx and dx... Didn't even occur to me though.

I knew I should post on here before I purchased just to make sure!!

Thanks dao! So my 50mm (which I use most anyway) should work just fine? Whew...you all were scaring me there for a minute! I know I have to buy a new memory card, but I thought the rest of my stuff was compatible.

LOL geez, you're buying a D700 and you don't even know what's compatible with what? I would say learn more about photography and the technical side before you invest in something you are unsure about.

Basically, I wouldn't even use the two DX lenses you have at all, let alone on a full frame D700. They are 100% beginner lenses.

Yes, they are. Can I still use the others? What will happen? I know, I know....I should do the research on the difference between fx and dx... Didn't even occur to me though.

here's what i would be concerned about. you are about to buy a $2300 camera and aren't aware that your 2 kit lenses will not make full use of it. you can use the lenses but they are for DX format, you will not get the full use out of the D700 sensor with them. the only lens you currently have to make full use of the sensor is the 50mm.

what is wrong with something like a D90 or D300/300s and a nice lens like a 24-70 or 28-70?

for babies and children the D90 and D300 will do about the same job as the D700. where the D700 really kicks the D90's and D300's butts is high iso which you shouldn't need.

I don't shoot Nikon but i think the other lens will reduce the camera to 5MP not sure

The DX lenses from Nikon are made for Nikon cameras with smaller sensor such as your D40. D700 has a larger sensor and people usually call it as full frame sensor since the size is roughly the same as a 35mm film.

You can still use the DX lens with the D700 but it has limitation. The image circle casted by the DX lens cannot cover the entire sensor so you will see a dark border. Or you can tell the camera that you are using a DX lens, but the resolution is like 5 mpix (that is from what I read).

It's ok to upgrade the camera body, but you may also want to upgrade some of your lenses as well.

LOL geez, you're buying a D700 and you don't even know what's compatible with what? I would say learn more about photography and the technical side before you invest in something you are unsure about.

Basically, I wouldn't even use the two DX lenses you have at all, let alone on a full frame D700. They are 100% beginner lenses.

+10

Most reactions

Back