getting started... constructive criticism?

s-t-e-v-e

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just bought my first real camera yesterday, I went with a nikon d60 body with 18-55 and 70-300mm lens kit (both vr). was originally going to get a rebel xsi kit but i got a crazy deal on the nikon so yeah...
anyways here's a few pics that i've taken so far
friend biking
3793285891_08a035b38a.jpg

garden shot
3793285273_23dc81c23f.jpg

portrait attempt (not me)...reflection in the water was intentional
3794102734_c24186fdcb.jpg

flower shot...pretty generic
3794102028_4de11cf258.jpg

same flowers, better this time imo
3793282079_a18a030989.jpg

random thing i saw
3794100980_9570e098fc.jpg

different flowers...kinda like this one
3793282855_a8516c67bd.jpg

and a link to my flickr with a few more shots - Flickr: steven link's Photostream

#1 is a bit too far away. The pallette in front kills the image for me. Too much dead space on the right. Nice capture on the action, but the composition and mood of the image are off.

#2 looks more like a quick snapshot while on vacation. Make sure you fill the frame with your subject to really accentuate it, or find a different angle if you are playing on lines / layout. The tree in the back is kinda distracting too. The image seems a bit flat, lack of colour.

#3 better job on composition and nice play on the reflection. Having him a bit closer to the puddle would of worked better as you would have a more complete reflection.

#4 too haphazard of an image. Try and get in even closer on 1 flower and make it really well framed and interesting

#5 not sure I like it better than the other. Why do you like it more?

#6 random thing, random shot. Colours are flat, composition is off. Interesting subject, could of done more

#7 background is distracting, colours are better though

I'd keep my postings for CC to 3-4 at a time.
Reading up on how to take a picture, composition, lines, angles, rules of third. Most importantly, keep shooting!

I would suggest 'Photography' by London and Upton. You can get it on Amazon. It's a great book for anyone interested in photography.

as someone who does skate photography (bmx included) on a daily basis... I suggest you get a lot closer to your subject... as for the flower shots.. I hate flower shots, so I wont comment on them... the one of the pipe is slanted to the left.. straighten out the horizon.. and try not to centre the subject.. read up on the Rule of Thirds

3 is my favorite but just keep shooting, read understanding exposure, and you'll start to see things in a new way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back