Getting started into Macro - Raynox

HJW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone.
A while back I got very interested in macro. I used my nifty fifty, stacked with a couple of extension tubes, for macro, and when shooting 1:1, I'm restricted by a tripod, as well as the wind which always causes many OOF shots. After doing some research, I found out about the Raynox-250.

Though many reviews have claimed it as good, I would like to hear some first hand experience of those using the Raynox, what problems you usually face when using it, what lens you snap it on, sharpness and clarity, etc.

I've heard somewhere, that you literally have to push your lens right next to the subject, and as a complete beginner in macro photography, can someone please share their experience with this?

I use one on my 1:1 100mm.. and it is nice. Good clarity. You do lose some DOF... but it is reasonable. Distance to subject varies with what lens you use it on. Macro lenses usually require getting very close any way for 1:1 (usually 3" to 6" from the end of the lens), and the Raynox cuts that down some... but not bad. Do a search here for Raynox.. you will find plenty.

Here are some of mine :

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ew-raynox-dcr-250-add-lens-jumping-spider.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...troduce-me-macro-photography.html#post2432986

You say your restricted to a tripod, right? So I'll assume you have no lighting equipment as of yet? I would look into a shoe mount flash and build a DIY macro flash diffuser.

Gipson: Your first link does not work, though I have checked out your second link. Seems rather sharp and worth the $.

Jake: Yes, I have no lighting equipment as of now, and have almost no experience with lighting setup's, mostly relying on ambient light, which doesn't really work all the time. I'll look into the mount flash and diffuser option, but I'm not too sure if I'm willing to invest heavily into shoe mounts, especially since I'm still 'dabbling around' in macro. Though I suppose it is an essential thing to have for general purposes and macro. Thank you for your suggestion though, I will most definitely consider it.

Gipson: Your first link does not work, though I have checked out your second link. Seems rather sharp and worth the $.

Jake: Yes, I have no lighting equipment as of now, and have almost no experience with lighting setup's, mostly relying on ambient light, which doesn't really work all the time. I'll look into the mount flash and diffuser option, but I'm not too sure if I'm willing to invest heavily into shoe mounts, especially since I'm still 'dabbling around' in macro. Though I suppose it is an essential thing to have for general purposes and macro. Thank you for your suggestion though, I will most definitely consider it.

No big deal on the link.. it shows the same spider that was in the other link.. just different shots...

btw.. Jake is dead on! Macro requires light.. and Flash is the best way to provide that light. A good diffuser is a must... you can google DIY diffusers... there are a lot out there. You can also get a small softbox like the Fotodiox flash mount softbox. They work pretty well.. especially if you use a clip on diffuser or a stofen on the flash at the same time. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Soft...0334/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325169191&sr=8-5

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I'm not sure what brand/body you shoot with. You may be able to find a used manual flash for near or less than the price of the raynox. And a DIY diffuser is almost free!

Almost every photo in my macro section used flash beside a few of the plant pictures.
Macro and plantlife - a set on Flickr

Wow I really have to thank you for the efforts you pull out. I'll do research on the various types of flashes I can use, and what suits me best, and see if I am able to rig something up. Once again, thanks!

HJW... I found this also.. a shot with my Raynox. This is the locking mechanism on a pair of hemostats....

for1.jpg

This is a cross section on a grain of rice

End100.jpg

Jake and Gipson, I've taken a look at both your Flickr's and I really enjoy the shots both of you take.
Gipson, which lens did you use for those shots above (well really, just the focal length will do since I'm a Canon user)?

I'll try to pick up one of the Speedlites second hand. I don't think there will be much difference will there, unlike lenses second hand, as I don't really see how prolong use can 'damage' a flash, 'use it up' (rather ignorant with flashes, so still have to do a bit of reading), unlike lenses which have shutter life (and the previous owner may be damaged it).

I have to apologize for all the () used, its just a bad habit of mine.

Jake and Gipson, I've taken a look at both your Flickr's and I really enjoy the shots both of you take.
Gipson, which lens did you use for those shots above (well really, just the focal length will do since I'm a Canon user)?

I'll try to pick up one of the Speedlites second hand. I don't think there will be much difference will there, unlike lenses second hand, as I don't really see how prolong use can 'damage' a flash, 'use it up' (rather ignorant with flashes, so still have to do a bit of reading), unlike lenses which have shutter life (and the previous owner may be damaged it).

I used a Tokina 100mm Macro (available for Canon also, I believe!).. and the Raynox DCR-250.

I also use the tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. Lens do not have a shutter life, thats your camera shutter. Their condition is relative to the previous owners ability to care for their gear. You could buy a very abused(aesthetically) lens thats optically is superb condition. Also, lens from 50, 60, 100 years ago, kept in good conditon, can be just as good as a brand new lens built today.

I have to ask though. What kind of macro are you interested in? Let's say your shooting small products or still life, you would have other lighting options to explore.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification on shutter life, and I see what you mean as for second hand (or old) lenses.

I'm rather interested in still life macro.
Here's a link to one guy who has inspirational work: Bob Daalder | RedBubble
...who also happens to use the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. It appears to be a popular choice for more serious macro photographers.

First of all let me apologize for this double post, as well as the bump (is it a bump? The thread was only started yesterday and is on the 2nd page), as I didn't feel there was a need to start a new thread.

I've tried rigging a flash extender, and I'm not too sure if it works too well. I have also rigged up a simple diffuser. This is my first shot:
1/30s, f5.6, 500, handheld + flash fired.
50mm f1.8 ii + 56mm stacked extension tubes.

FlashTest

EDIT: I would also like to add on that I love the flash now, even though its still the on-camera one. Allows for much more flexibility. I am going to check around for second hand mount flashes now.

First of all let me apologize for this double post, as well as the bump (is it a bump? The thread was only started yesterday and is on the 2nd page), as I didn't feel there was a need to start a new thread.

I've tried rigging a flash extender, and I'm not too sure if it works too well. I have also rigged up a simple diffuser. This is my first shot:
1/30s, f5.6, 500, handheld + flash fired.
50mm f1.8 ii + 56mm stacked extension tubes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60164190@N07/6597881151/
FlashTest

EDIT: I would also like to add on that I love the flash now, even though its still the on-camera one. Allows for much more flexibility. I am going to check around for second hand mount flashes now.

Looks blurry.. camera shake blur! Not many people can hand hold steady enough at 1/30 for sharp pictures. Years of practice helps.. but it still isn't easy. Definitely not advised for someone trying to learn macro. Even with flash.. you should probably keep it at a minimum of 1/60.... and if your camera will do it, sync it at 1/125 or faster, especially if there is much ambient light. This will let you get better shots sooner.. and let you slowly learn what you can do without frustration.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back