Getting Started?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I currently do photography as a hobbie and am loveing it. I came here wanting to know how to advance a little more and actually sell some of my photo's. Here are my questions:

1. How do you find a dealer to host your photo's and sell them for you?

2. What process's are needed before having a photo ready to sell?

3. Is getting a DSLR to big of a step this early into it?

Thats all for now... I think. If you need to know any more such as camera type, maybe want to see some of my pictures, please ask me, as long as it will help.

Thanks.

answer to number 3.

I got a DSLR and I'm not that experienced...but I'd say it's really a good investment. I take much better pictures, and I'm encouraged to take them more often because you get to manipulate your shots more, and settings are much easier to change. Plus, the lens system is great for swapping for different focal lengths or specialty lenses.

Your other two...I don't know...haven't got that far yet.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

I have been considering buying a used cheap DSLR, mabye a Cannon Rebel, or Nikon D40. Still using my 7.2 mp cybershot though.

Also here are some of my pictures, as you can see I like to take macro, mostly because it is the easiest, and there aren't any really good views by my house.

Here they are, tell me which ones you like.: http://ericdepaoli.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

You might have to copy and paste into the bar.

Also note, none of the pictures have been edited. I have played around a little though in photoshop.

3. A cheap SLR would be the way to go if you're interested in taking it further. Having the control over the photo is definitely a good way to learn the art. Just don't go right in and buy a D200 expecting it to take wonderful photos for you.

2. Thought, capture, editing, printing. That's it. Don't just take a photo and think it's done, this only works if you get lucky. My better photos are normally 1 selected from a series of photos of the same subject experimenting and thinking about various lighting and compositional elements, then minor editing afterwards. I have yet to see a photo come straight off a camera that can't be slightly tweaked for the better even if there is a VERY subtle change.

Thanks Garbz.

I have thought about photo's I want to take, but in the end something gets screwed up. The problem is that I imagine it elsewhere, not where I live :confused:.

All joking aside... anyones input is welcome.

Hey,

Like you, I too am pretty new to this. I got my Camera a week ago, the Canon EOS 350D, and it's great. After some advice on this forum - I'm waiting before I buy any more lenses as the Kit Lens will suffice for a while, and I can therefore see what photography I want to do. I would reccomend going for a DSLR straight away, because you have much more control over your photos, and in the end it's a lot of fun :)

I went to the local futureshop and looked at some of the SLR's. Most of them are out of my budget. Is it possible to get a used one in the 300-400 range?

It is definitely possible to get a used dSLR within that price range, but getting a good lens into the bargain is another matter... especially if you want something for macro photography. A dedicated macro lens is probably out of the question... however you could get a 50mm f/1.8 lens for a good price, and use that with either bellows, extension tubes or a lens reversal ring for the really close-up work.

I really don't think that I need lenses right away... maybe buy a SLR, play around with it, maybe sell some photo's, then when I am making some income, I can upgrade and get some lenses.

Who are you planning on selling your photos to? How are you going to market them to these people?

I think you are forgetting the crucial step of coming up with a plan to make money if thats what you really want to do.

I went to the local futureshop and looked at some of the SLR's. Most of them are out of my budget. Is it possible to get a used one in the 300-400 range?

Easy, and the kit lens will do fine until you have money to get new ones. Or so I've been told. My EOS 350D was £300 on eBay.:hugs:

Easy, and the kit lens will do fine until you have money to get new ones. Or so I've been told. My EOS 350D was £300 on eBay.:hugs:

I meant Canadian $... Is it possible to get a used D40, or Rebel Xti for $300-$500 range?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back