Getting student work experience

Alex Hopskotch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just finished my first year of college studying photography and now have three months off, which is way too long so I'm looking to get some work experience to pad out my CV for when I finish the course in three years time.
Does anyone have any tips for applying to be photographers' assistants and that all that sort? At the moment, I'm sending emails with a letter stating why I'd like to work with them, that I'm not after payment just work experience, and I attach a CV outlining my photography experience and regular work experience.
Anything I'm fundamentally missing or do I just keep going and hope I get lucky?

Go talk to people.

Someone came to me with a email and CV. It would go into the trash bin. Tells me you don't have the where-with-all to step out and search something out.

Before someone comes back and says, "What?"

I am in the same situation. I am looking for a similar thing, work experience and a foot into the business. I am going back to school in the fall for land survey/civil engineering.

I went to the phone book and pulled out surveyors and started to drive to offices. I learn about them as much as they learn about me.

I know a lot of people go out and post CV and resume` on stuff like Facebook, LinkedIn, Monster, Etc. But even when I use a headhunter to help me find a job, I ALWAYS end up meeting someone face to face.

Most reactions

Back