Getting the max out of your tripod

Sarmad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have a Manfrotto MK393-H tripod. As a first time tripod user, I find it extremely difficult to shoot using this tripod.

As the tripod lacks a bubble meter, I can't compose my photos right. Numerous times I've shot a photo and then found out that the foreground is not straight. Frustrated, I play with the knobs, Still I can't get it completely straight. I now switch to my LCD live view, switch on the guidelines and try to compose the foreground using the horizontal lines. But they are just not completely straight. Am I doing something wrong? I think I have some problem in my tripod legs placement.

When I attach that plate, which has a nut, to my camera, I can't get it in perfect shape to fit in that cavity on the tripod. So I end up in having the movement knobs in front of the lens, and I have to adjust those knobs by extending my left hand in front of the lens, often resulting in photos with orange shade in it (from my hand).

I can't get the max stability out of it. Often I shoot two consecutive photos and find out that they are not perfectly aligned.

Please guide me. The manual with the tripod was just a page with tripod's sketch on it. :(

I guess I'd have to see a picture of the tripod with the camera mounted on it.

I assume that the plate is not tight against the body to that the screw can go in deep enough to be flush with the plate?

That particular tripod is a lightweight tripod meant for small hand-held video recorders. It's only rated for a total weight on the head of a little over five pounds, which means you really should put no more than three at the most on it. Part of the reason you're having trouble mounting the camera on the QR plate may be because the alignment pin is getting in the way; this again is a video camera feature, and your camera may simply be too large to use properly with this tripod. Unfortunately, this head doesn't look like it's compatible with any of Manfrotto's standard QR plates, so from that point of view, there's not a lot you can do. Is buying/borrowing another tripod an option?

As far as the level goes, you can easily buy a hot shoe level which will work very well. There are lots of inexpensive ones on eBay.

That's a fairly inexpensive tripod, but I'd expect it to be serviceable. Manfrotto is a good name-brand.

If I'm looking at the right tripod, it looks like it's got a pan-tilt head on it, which (again) is usable for photos, but is usually preferred for video. I think you'll find most people using a ball-head design for photo use. Nevertheless, I used a cheap tripod with a pan-tilt head when I was starting, and it can usually be made to work. Adjusting for level horizons can be especially finicky with a pan-tilt head because it's designed not to move in planes other than straight horizontally or vertically, so try to level the tripod using the leg adjustments. You also mentioned "knobs in front of the lens", which makes me think you might be trying to mount the camera backwards. On a pan-tilt head, the handle extends behind the camera so that you can pan and tilt the camera during shooting (as in video).

While you're learning your tripod, pay attention to the operation of the legs vs. the head vs. the quick-release system, because on most tripods (and absolutely on higher-end models) all three of these parts can be purchased separately. This is done because people prefer different things for each of these parts, and this modularity allows a photographer to put together a system with parts that suit them exactly. If you get to the point where you're interested in upgrading, consider all those parts in your purchase. In my case, for example, I've got a set of Manfrotto legs, a Giottos head, and an Arca-compatible plate system (with extra plates).

I have taken off that alignment pin. The problem is I have never used, and not even seen someone mounting their camera on a tripod. When I screw that plate against my camera, It is a bit loose, I can't really tight it where I want it to be, It just goes swinging around and around until at one point it gets tight, and when I try to align it to the shape of the cavity, I have to tight it too much and I don't because I fear I might break it.

This one is exactly like my plate, I've popped out that red thing.

Manfrotto 785PL Quick Release Plate for Modo 785B & 785PL

That level attachment looks very nice, I don't know if I'll find it in Pakistan.

It sounds like you're not tightening the screw enough. You should be able to turn the screw until the QR plate contacts the bottom of the camera, and then turn it about 1/4 turn further to snug it up. If you can't do that, then have a look at the QR plate; Manfrotto uses an annoying type of circlip on some of their screws to prevent them from falling out of the plate. It's possible that this has worked it's way partway up the the thread and is interfering with the mounting of the plate. Also, make sure that the mounting threads on the camera are clear (dirt/stuff hasn't got in them) and that it is deep enough for the thread projecting out of the QR plate.

My plate has loose type of screw. It doesn't fall of yet I can rotate it easily with my hands. I'm sure that my camera's threads are clean.

That's a fairly inexpensive tripod, but I'd expect it to be serviceable. Manfrotto is a good name-brand.

If I'm looking at the right tripod, it looks like it's got a pan-tilt head on it, which (again) is usable for photos, but is usually preferred for video. I think you'll find most people using a ball-head design for photo use. Nevertheless, I used a cheap tripod with a pan-tilt head when I was starting, and it can usually be made to work. Adjusting for level horizons can be especially finicky with a pan-tilt head because it's designed not to move in planes other than straight horizontally or vertically, so try to level the tripod using the leg adjustments. You also mentioned "knobs in front of the lens", which makes me think you might be trying to mount the camera backwards. On a pan-tilt head, the handle extends behind the camera so that you can pan and tilt the camera during shooting (as in video).

While you're learning your tripod, pay attention to the operation of the legs vs. the head vs. the quick-release system, because on most tripods (and absolutely on higher-end models) all three of these parts can be purchased separately. This is done because people prefer different things for each of these parts, and this modularity allows a photographer to put together a system with parts that suit them exactly. If you get to the point where you're interested in upgrading, consider all those parts in your purchase. In my case, for example, I've got a set of Manfrotto legs, a Giottos head, and an Arca-compatible plate system (with extra plates).

I'm sorry due to some bug I didn't see your post. Now it's here with an earlier time which is weird :confused:.

By knobs in front of lens, I meant I can't mount my camera right which leaves me with a bad angle with knobs in front of the camera. I don't plan on buying other tripods yet mainly because I'm a student which means I'm always broke. I think you're right about the video part, shooting movies on it is extremely comfortable. And I'll try to adjust the horizons by legs adjustment. The problem I currently have, I don't know how to mount that plate to my camera to get it in perfect shape to fit that cavity on top of the tripod, so I don't get the knobs in an awkward position to operate.

Student =/= Always broke
No income = Always broke

When I was going to tech college I had money because I worked 2-3 jobs. So, yeah, 80-110 hours a week of school and work. Made me lol when I read that.

Anyway, like home boy said: you are over taxing that tripod. I wouldn't put my D7000 and a 18-55 on it because it would be too much for it. My gopro? Sure.

Pay close attention to the preferred way to mount the plate. You should be able to turn it so the plate goes into the mount with the knobs at the rear.

As to the screw not tightening, if the screw is too long, it will never tighten, and you should place a "shim" between the camera and the plate. Try something like rubber, leather, thick cardboard, or whatever you can find.

As to getting the camera level, look through the viewfinder and align some horizontal line that goes from one side to the other side with the top or bottom of the frame (or your grid). Tighten the tilt knob and swivel the camera to the other side. If it is level, it will line up with the same horizontal object just like the first side. If it doesn't line up, adjust the tilt until you get no vertical movement as you pan form side to side. You might have to move one or two legs of the tripod to find just the right place.

Even if you find a spirit level to purchase, you should still perform this check of pan level.

Most reactions

Back