Ghost town

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few shots from Golden, Oregon, a ghost town up the road from where I live. Shot on some old Tri-x Pan that I acquired with a bulk film loader. Shot at 300 with my K1000 and processed in Diafine. Grainy, grainy, grainy. But kinda cool for the subject. C/C welcome.

img862.jpg

img864.jpg

img867.jpg

img871.jpg

Did you sneak some transparent faces in there with double exposure? Would be fun to explore the image only to suddenly find a pair of eyes staring back at you.

Did you sneak some transparent faces in there with double exposure? Would be fun to explore the image only to suddenly find a pair of eyes staring back at you.

No, no eyes, but imperfections in the emulsion created some spots and scratches that are interesting. That church didn't seem imposing, either, which surprised me.

I like 2 and 4 a great deal. Though I think some of the pictures do need more contrast. I don't think any of the blacks are 'black' enough. And the graininess is a little too grainy, imo.

I suppose if you fixed the contrast the grain might look kinda cool.

Like this:

img864-1.jpg

Perhaps I should shoot this stuff at 100 and see what happens. Maybe I'll do that this afternoon...

That sounds like a good idea. In the above picture, you might want to dodge the first bench a little bit. It blends into the background a little too much.

I think shooting it at 100 would be much wiser, try getting a little more light in the background of the church as well, that is if you can.

Some double negative imaging would be pretty cool with these.

Just one complaint really because I like these quite a bit. The graininess bothers me, I think shooting at 100 like you said is a great idea. Thats what I shoot with, with my TMAX 100 film. It works out nicely. Ill upload some of the TMAX film photographs soon.

It looks to be a location with some very interesting potential. Like doobs said though, a great deal more contrast is needed. You don't really have any deep shadows or bright highlights at the moment. Generally you find that the higher ISO stock is lower contrast to start with than, the lower ISO stuff. You can overcome this to some extent by rating it higher at extending the processing time, but you have to watch out for the grain. Careful choice of developer can make a significant difference too.

I really like the photos. The graininess adds to the "mood" of a ghost town.

Most reactions

Back