Ghostly Self Portrait

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know most of you probably know how to do this, but for the newbies who don't, it is really easy. Tripod, long exposure, hold yourself still for a few seconds while the shutter is open, usually at the start of the exposure, then back out really quick. You have to experiment with times to get the desired darkness/lightness of ghost image.

$IMG_9629 sm.JPG

Thanks... because I would have just photoshopped that but your way seems more fun.

Does it not pick up you getting into or leaving the position because it is such a long exposure?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Does it not pick up you getting into or leaving the position because it is such a long exposure?

Nope, look through some long exposure vids on YouTube. You can make a street full of people go bye bye!

Cool shot

No, what happens is that since it is really low light, as you are moving you are not staying in one place long enough to burn your shadow into the image. But you still want to move kinda quick. Also, I use a remote shutter and don't start the picture til I am in position, then you are only moving one time, when you back out. This was a 30 second exposure.

I know most of you probably know how to do this, but for the newbies who don't, it is really easy. Tripod, long exposure, hold yourself still for a few seconds while the shutter is open, usually at the start of the exposure, then back out really quick. You have to experiment with times to get the desired darkness/lightness of ghost image.

View attachment 53254

Very nice. And thanks for the tech rundown!

Looked at your site. Beautiful work!

Really nice, also had a look at your gallery, great shots

Your way is cooler because the effect is achieved in-camera, but the Photoshop approach would be pretty simple, and has the advantage of providing flexibility in post.

To do it, simply take the same photo twice, once with you in it, once without. Open the one without you in it, then bring in the one with you in it as a new layer that goes on top. Move opacity slider to taste. You might want to also try some different blending modes and see what happens.

Nice job!

View attachment 53254
Very Nice.Thank you for taking the time to explain,I had no idea how this was done.Nice job and thanks again.Also maybe my thinking is off being a rookie and all but i would think your way require's more technical skill set and timing rather then shopping things together.No personal disliking to PS but seems cheating to me.

Last edited:
Very cool!!!

T

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back