Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

I've been enjoying using a gimbal head vs a ball head so much I thought I would cobble together a mounting plate to use non collared lens on the gimbal mount.

Normally a gimbal is used for long lenses with collars, you attach a plate to the collar and it fits into a clamp on the gimbal arm.

The plates mounted directly on the camera with a non collared lens won't work.

The beauty of a gimbal is the camera/lens is perfectly balanced on an arm that can swing in an arc vertically and turn horizontally, all with the touch of one finger...

I had a spare collar plate and the quick release mount and plates from my Velbon ball head to start with. I balanced my short lenses on a piece of dowel to determin I needed a length of six inches.

Pic's are easier...

The wood adapter and hardware...

HardwareMedium.jpg

Assembled...

AssembledMedium.jpg

In use...

BackthreequarterviewMedium.jpg

Side view..

SideviewMedium.jpg

I should mention that the gimbal model I am using is a Jobu Jr 2. It is made in Canada by Welcome to Jobu Design!

Jobu Jr. 2 gimbal $250 (B&H)
Lens plate ~ $50 (B&H)
Velbon mount and quick release plate ~$70 (ebay)

Jobu Design does make an adapter minus the quick mount plate for $120 that also allows you to do portrait mode shooting with non collared lenses.

Without it you have to remove the swing arm and put the clamp in it's place, only four screws but....

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Cheers, Don

Way to go MacGyver...err....I mean, way to go Don!!!!!!!!

Cool modification and a lot cheaper than this alternative. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back