gimp or something for free

er111a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
er111a.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my son has just got a new camera and a computer but I dont want to pay 600$ for photoshop. can you please tell me if gimp is any good

Consider Photoshop Elements for $80 give or take. It's a very good program.

Gimp is pretty powerful, especially considering that it is open-source software. Short of that, you can check out Elements like Stella mentioned.

Don't forget you get the student price on software. PS is only 300$ and I'm not sure what the student price on elements is.

What are you looking to do with the software? If you are looking to do simple post processing you could always pick up Lightroom at the student price of $99. Just depends on what you are looking for.

my son is hoping to put his photos on the schools website and newspaper

Well unless he wants to do serious photo editing, Lightroom might work. Just to get started Lightroom and Gimp might be a good combo. Download the free demo of Lightroom and see if that works.

Well unless he wants to do serious photo editing, Lightroom might work. Just to get started Lightroom and Gimp might be a good combo. Download the free demo of Lightroom and see if that works.

I'd choose elements over lightroom in that case. Lightroom is more about file management and pretty light on editing.

Elements is a very good program and has all the features I ever needed from CS2...I don't know what I'm missing with CS3 so it doesn't hurt me.

My advice: go for the cheapest editing software you can get (i.e. free). You can probably scrounge up old photoshop or paint shop copies for dirt cheap.

You don't need fancy editing software unless you are trying to get really artsy (which is fun, admittedly), or you are constantly having to bail out pictures with exposure problems, poor focus, whatever. If he knows how to use his camera correctly he won't need $600 of editing software when he is just starting out.

When I was a young(er) lad (about 5 years ago), my dad loaned me the ol' Canon AE-II, gave me a few rolls of Fujifilm, and I went out and learned to take pictures the good old fashioned way. With a lot of trial and error, or course. I guess what I'm saying is, especially with digital, you should be getting really good images out of the camera already.

I use gimp and it is pretty darn good. I used photoshop in my graphic design classes and I say for the money(free) gimp is the way to go.

It does most of what photoshop can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back