Gimp Questions With C & C.

MGriff240

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got Gimp to download correctly on my MacBook, so I've been playing around with it. I just want to know what the basic "touch-up" controls that everyone uses are. I've been using the color-balance, brightness-contrast, and curves options. Anything I'm missing?

Here's a few pics that I edited using it.

4377104267_ed745999a0.jpg

4377854910_feccac0ea3.jpg

3. (Yes, I know that's slightly out of focus. :p)
4377072493_8f10781243.jpg

Viewing the histogram while playing with the levels tool is a good way to figure out what's going on. Start investigating layers and masks.

Sharpness.

Also I like the first one, but did you Post Process the blurred background? It looks fake.

It's very handy if you can learn to use the selection tools to do local edits, rather than relying on editing globally.

If you click on the link in my sig, the second blog post has a quick Gimp video tutorial that I did which covers the very basics, and ironically, is editing a photo of a bird in a tree... Really all you are missing is running an Unsharpen mask...

Almost forgot, the C&C, I really like the composition of the first one, I think it works well, its a good shot.. In the second one, if you used auto focus, it looks like it grabbed the feeder because the bird is out of focus... The third one, well, I kinda like the effect, but the composition is lacking in my opinion. I'm no pro, so take it for what its worth... Which isn't very much... :lmao:

Last edited:
If you click on the link in my sig, the second blog post has a quick Gimp video tutorial that I did which covers the very basics, and ironically, is editing a photo of a bird in a tree... Really all you are missing is running an Unsharpen mask...

Almost forgot, the C&C, I really like the composition of the first one, I think it works well, its a good shot.. In the second one, if you used auto focus, it looks like it grabbed the feeder because the bird is out of focus... The third one, well, I kinda like the effect, but the composition is lacking in my opinion. I'm no pro, so take it for what its worth... Which isn't very much... :lmao:

Thanks for your post, I am trying my hand @ Gimp as well...this helps:thumbup:jorge

Most reactions

Back