Giraffe

WhisperedLitany

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
whisperedlitany08.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken July 26th, 08 at the Como Zoo down in St.Paul.

Can anyone tell me if the grid like pattern in the background is normal? I've always had this question.... I dont know if it was just heat waves, or if my camera was acting up because of the heat and sunlight hitting it.

Giraffe_1_by_WhisperedLitany08.jpg

fz2nar.jpg

I have quite a few photos with it, but i decided just to post two of them.

Critique is also welcome.

Your 'gird like' pattern doesn't look 'normal' to me. The out of focus areas in a photo are called Bokeh. How the bokeh looks is largely a function of the lens and it's design.
Typically, better quality lenses have better looking bokeh.

My guess is that your 70-300mm lens is showing it's weaknesses here.

It could also be something with your camera/sensor...I don't know. Have you tried other lenses to see if you get the same effect?

Can you show us the full EXIF info for those shots?

Ohhh. :( I knew it wasn't normal.
I havent ever tried doing it with my 18-55mm, but i probably will try next summer.

I'm not sure what you mean by EXIF info, but i think this is what it is..

First Picture:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shutter Speed: 1/320 second
F Number: F/7.1
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Date Picture Taken: Jul 26, 2008, 2:58:01 PM

Second Picture:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shutter Speed: 1/640 second
F Number: F/7.1
Focal Length: 271 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Date Picture Taken: Jul 26, 2008, 3:00:01 PM

let me know if thats not what you're talking about. :???:

Then I'm going to guess it's a camera fault, a pattern like that is unlikely to be produced by a lens, it's in the image creation or processing.

Can you replicate the problem with an easy set up? If so, I'd suggest you take your camera and lens into a camera store. Try your camera with a different lens and try your lens with a different camera. Save all the shots onto your memory card. Then you can compare the shots and narrow down where the problem might be.

did you by any chance shot these giraffes through a fence? I remember having a weird patern in some of my pics when shooting through a fence. Dont remember if it was as obvious as your shots though.
Maybe im waaaay off, but im just thinking out loud here :)

Not that i recall, but some of them were through a fence. but the pattern would of shown up as a more darker black grid pattern because i just compared them with the pictures through the fence. Its a really good thought though.
There are several factors to how a fence might show up in an image. It might look like a black grid in some images...but if you change the aperture, the focus distance and the distance to the fence, the it will show up differently. But it probably would have be at least a little visable on the animal as well...not just the background.

I think MikeBcos might be on the right track.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back