Girl Framed by Japanese Red Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the sooner you realize and accept that Alpha and his photography > everyone, you and him will get along a lot better. :)

:hail:

(sarcasm for those not in the know)

FISH ON!

I think the sooner you realize and accept that Alpha and his photography > everyone, you and him will get along a lot better. :)

:hail:

(sarcasm for those not in the know)

Ah ha. That's the trick huh? Let me think about that a seco.....no thanks. :)

post of the year?

Personally, I don't feel Alpha's comments are abrasive. I do agree that the arm is somewhat blown out, so it is hard to make out what is the arm and what is the rest of her chest. For me it looks like the tree covers too much of her head (but that's just my opinion). I do still like it though. And as long as you like it, that's all that really matters. The subject is very attractive! Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I don't feel Alpha's comments are abrasive. I do agree that the arm is somewhat blown out, so it is hard to make out what is the arm and what is the rest of her chest. For me it looks like the tree covers too much of her head (but that's just my opinion). I do still like it though. And as long as you like it, that's all that really matters. The subject is very attractive! Thanks for sharing!

There is a thing called tact, of which he has none. And it's not because he's one of those affable guys that just speaks his mind, but you can't help but like. No, he's the type with the greater than thou attitude.

Make your way throughout some of the forums and see some of his other posts and you will see. He is very willing to dish his comments out to others, but doesn't take advice from other photographers very kindly. He does no wrong in his eyes. :thumbup:

I agree with Casper.. I do not feel that Alpha was being abrasive I feel that some people need to accept that not EVERYONE will love your work. If you want people to BLOW SMOKE>> say so. SAY PLEASE TELL ME THAT IM GREAT,. I may not be the best photog but I would rather someone tell me so that I can improve. Its ashame that people do not see Alpha as being constructive.

I personally don't like the photo. To me it does not tell a story. I cannot comment on technical things because I'm stilll learning.. I can only say what I like and dislike.

I think Alpha was just getting right to the point. Its blown out, poor composition, it looks like a snapshot to me....no eye contact, distracting branches covering half of her head, you cut her arm in half....

I would have to agree with Alpha...I didn't feel that he was coming off abrasive - just to the point. This would have been a great shot probably - but taken from the point of where I'm guessing the other photographer took the shot.

It does have the funny appearance that she is wearing some huge maple leaf hat. Of course we know she's not but the leaves are overwhelming the whole picture IMO - since the whole top of her head is fully covered and the subject only takes up about a fifth of the frame, if even, and the leaves take up the rest.

I think the leaves and composition of the shot just make it look "crowded".

so do we have a 'fixed' photo to prove Alpha wrong? btw, of all Alpha's comments, i haven't seen one yet that sugar coats. straight to the point, all the meat, with no bull....

(wow... that was a dumb last statement. doesn't make sense at all... *mumble, *mumble)

Before I even registered here it only took two of Alpha's comments before I did a search for more posts option under his profile.
The man has minimal social skills. If some of you want to think that what he said hurts my feelings be my guest. I don't really care about that either.
I've been mentoring people in game level design for a few years now which means I've been heavily involved in educational forums and I see these kinds of people every once in a while. And it's always the same. Everyone assumes that because you call them on it it's because of sensitivity.
I was raised on the streets back when it was the ghetto, my dad was a tow truck driver, and I am a former Marine. There's nothing any of you could say that could have any effect on my emotions.
I sure as hell don't need anybody to blow smoke up my ass about anything.

So can we get back to the picture or what? Anyone feels like explaining why the composition is bad instead of just saying it's bad, be my guest. Or any other niggle. This forum is for constructive crits so let's keep it to that yes?

[EDIT]Thanks to those of you that did take the time to explain your points.

She's looking away from the camera. The arm, back, and chest (if any) all flow together, giving the appearance of either a very fat arm or very large and saggy boobs. I don't feel that she's obscured by the tree in any constructive way. In fact, it looks like she's wearing a big, weird hat made out of japanese maple leaves.

Isn't Alpha saying very clearly why he thinks composition and exposure of this particular photo are not good?
I see him express himself very clearly.

And what's to say how to make something better about a photo that has already been taken?

And how can anyone seriously put forward some critisism of a photo that the author of that photo loves other than hurting the photo author's feelings? It won't work, unless the photo author does not have feelings towards his own work.

Yes, I, too, have had discussions with Alpha, but if you listen, and start having a real conversation with him, instead if instantly blaming him of being "abrasive" and of having "no social skills whatsoever", then you can learn HEAPS from him.

Always keep in mind that a photo that you present to the public, asking for opinions, no one else will attach the same EMOTIONS to the photo than you had when taking it and have always had when looking at it. Other people's photos are devoid of any emotional attachment to any other viewer, they see the photo AS SUCH and can therefore only judge it AS SUCH, and when there are obvious flaws that the photo author cannot see because he is so emotionally attached to his image, the viewers will SEE them.

And unless you are prepared to get those flaws pointed out to you, you better keep the photos that are very dear to your heart to yourselves. Or you might get hurt.

lol this is ridiculouos.

The fact that there's this much discussion about Alpha's disposition proves it. I don't feel it's appropriate for a moderator to argue with me about my feelings over something either. I stated very clearly I'm not uspet with the criticism. I stated how I feel about someone as a person which is completely unrelated to the photo.
This is pretty much my last word on the subject.

I also never said I thought the crit was without value. Something else a few of you have falsely inferred. And I had to ask what was wrong with it. Which I think some of you missed.
I happen to disagree with the dings on the tree framing her, and that because she is not looking into the camera detracts. I believe those two points to be perfectly good elements of the photo.
I'm willing to listen to suggestions about the composition but just saying it's bad doesn't do anything for anyone. Again this is a constructive criticism forum.
Again I'll refer to game levels. If someone posts a level and I tell them the lighting is bad and that's all, what end does that serve? I (and any other person interested in teaching rather than "hearing themselves speak") would go on to say use a different render type, or desaturate the color a bit, it's too dark here, etc... And I do it for all the elements. Architecture, flow, pathing, everything. Because I enjoy teaching.
So far I've had three people make false assumptions about me. And now a mod is doing it.
Just so we're clear, I am not upset with anyone over anything. Except perhaps a little resentment with LaFoto for making assumptions about me when there should be some level of personal removal in a mod position. I think it's irresponsible.

Think you'll find that LaFoto's comment wasn't aimed at just you, it was aimed at EVERYONE.
We can all learn something from what she said.

Perhaps. I also forgot to mention she misquoted me.
I said "minimal social skills," not "no social skills whatsoever." There IS a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back