Girl with Cooties

Her eyes stand out as though they would convince you that, perhaps, these cooties aren't as bad as you think...

Thank you for seeing that.

That is pretty much what I am trying to express.

Oh the innocence of youth! When you say that someone has Cooties it would be best to know what you are talking about. A cootie is a small insect parasite found on sheep. Shepherds get them and the cause a terrible itch. They are a form of lice like crabs or bedbugs. not pleasant.
Another term often used Is SUCKS, as in mean people suck. Do people not realize that this is a homophobic derogatory term referring to the sex acts of gay people? Although I am not gay, I find it very offensive.
Think about what you are saying before you say it.
JMHO
Judge Sharpe

i have reread this entire thread multiple times to find the relevance of this sudden tangent...could you explain the detour? :confused:

I am sorry to have gotten under someones skin. I was merely pointing out that we often use terms that we have no idea of the origin or etymology of. Maybe I should have used Bama, used to describe un-sophisticated persons, although we all are not so bad, or redneck, from the hard working farmers who have sunburned necks from producing our food, or shysters for the attorneys who protect our freedoms. Maybe I could have said hill billy for the people who scratched out a hard living on the steep mountain slopes of the Appalachia, or any number of terms that are used without thinking of the connotations. The term cooties brought this subject to mind because as children we hear the terms from adults and use them with out the knowledge of what they refer to. Cooties referred to someone who sleeps with sheep, not sexually, but because they are low class and have to sleep in the barn. Again sorry to have detoured the thread fron the actual image, but I in my own humble opinion felt the need to say something. After all I am a shyster my self, and you know they never miss a chance to expound on something.
Judge Sharpe

I am sorry to have gotten under someones skin. I was merely pointing out that we often use terms that we have no idea of the origin or etymology of. Maybe I should have used Bama, used to describe un-sophisticated persons, although we all are not so bad, or redneck, from the hard working farmers who have sunburned necks from producing our food, or shysters for the attorneys who protect our freedoms. Maybe I could have said hill billy for the people who scratched out a hard living on the steep mountain slopes of the Appalachia, or any number of terms that are used without thinking of the connotations. The term cooties brought this subject to mind because as children we hear the terms from adults and use them with out the knowledge of what they refer to. Cooties referred to someone who sleeps with sheep, not sexually, but because they are low class and have to sleep in the barn. Again sorry to have detoured the thread fron the actual image, but I in my own humble opinion felt the need to say something. After all I am a shyster my self, and you know they never miss a chance to expound on something.
Judge Sharpe

Very interesting...personally, i was not offended at ALL, but just totally curious as to how we got onto offensive slang...
i had NO idea what the origin of cooties, and you have taught me something :thumbup:.

just out of curiosity, were you offended by the use of "cooties"?

ya learn something new everyday. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back