Girls 7th Grade VolleyBall Comments Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had to brush off the cobwebs, and try to remember how to shoot VB. 7th grade is a bit faster (action wise) than last year when my daughter was in 6th grade. Took a lot of shots, most will be discarded, although some 'marginal' shots will be kept because I share them with the coach/team in order to have full court access. :wink:

All were with my 7D, 70-200, ISO 4000 shutter speed was 1/500 to 1/640. f/3.5 a few were 2.8. I'd prefer not to shoot wide open, but the gym isn't lit very well.

I'll start with the shot I wish I had gotten, but was off just a hair with focus. It's the type(s) of shot I'm going to be trying a lot more during the season so I was concentrating more on where the ball was going to go.

IMG_3541-1_zpsa6953c8f.jpg

2. Oddly enough focus snapped in on the next shot of the burst on my 7D.:(

IMG_3542-1_zps4167bd60.jpg

3. I tried some under the net, and will be doing more as the season goes along. I want to get the players comfortable with me lurking the sidelines before I start moving behind them.

IMG_3703-1_zpsdbe5da4c.jpg

4. Jump!

IMG_3616-1_zps62509ef2.jpg

5. Serve

IMG_3399-1_zps8cdaf0d2.jpg

6. Set

IMG_3609-1_zps067de516.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously.. you have the 70-200 IS II. You pay good money for that to shoot sharp at 2.8. Shoot it at 2.8 next time man. Go test it. Shoot it wide open and look zoom in all the way on your puter. I understand not wanting to shoot wide open when there is a lot of light.

Thanks Robin.

Seriously.. you have the 70-200 IS II. You pay good money for that to shoot sharp at 2.8. Shoot it at 2.8 next time man. Go test it. Shoot it wide open and look zoom in all the way on your puter. I understand not wanting to shoot wide open when there is a lot of light.

I agree. That lens can handle it. Get all up in their business and get those shots. You are almost there. You have the right composition, gear, and skill here. Move in a bit, shoot wide open, and I bet you are going to get some amazing shots.

Thank you both. What is really killing me is the lighting in the Jr High Gym. I could push my ISO higher (5000+) but the noise is really bad at that point. And noise reduction helps, but takes away the sharpness.

Oh well, i enjoy taking the shots, and this should build my foundation for vollyball shooting when my daughter is in the Olmpics!:lmao: (Or at least the HS gym which has better lighting.)

Most reactions

Back