Give me feedback on our new website!

Tbini, I would consider calling your "other" or "random" category "style"...

It is kind of a representation of how your artistic style comes through when there are no constraints of client or subject expectations. Just a thought.

As far as the "other" tab, any recommendations for what we should call it? It is pretty much a random category that we wanted to have just to put up fun pictures from around town or whatever. We are having a hard time choosing what kind of photos should go in there. We have nature, wildlife, around Chico types photos. Are there any catchy words used in photography to describe that kind of gallery? Nature/wildlife or something? Seems kind of cheesy to me, but I would agree that "Other" isn't much better.

I also hate Others. You could call it Fine Art but then it had better be Art and Fine which is not the case right now. I would just get rid of it. After all, what does it have to do with your business?

I see this "Investment" more and more and I just laugh. What will be the return on my investment? I want to ask. Call a spade a spade. Maybe it's just me but I find this ridiculous.

You say you've added more specific info about your location but I don't see it. I think it should be on the Home page.

Last, I think the photo that shows up when hovering over the portrait gallery vertical tab is not the best choice. Up the nose, eyes closed, mouth wide open is not what comes to mind if I'm looking for a portrait.

As a side note, I like that the site works well on my droid and doesn't require flash. :thumbup:

As far as the "other" tab, any recommendations for what we should call it? It is pretty much a random category that we wanted to have just to put up fun pictures from around town or whatever. We are having a hard time choosing what kind of photos should go in there. We have nature, wildlife, around Chico types photos. Are there any catchy words used in photography to describe that kind of gallery? Nature/wildlife or something? Seems kind of cheesy to me, but I would agree that "Other" isn't much better.

I also hate Others. You could call it Fine Art but then it had better be Art and Fine which is not the case right now. I would just get rid of it. After all, what does it have to do with your business?

I see this "Investment" more and more and I just laugh. What will be the return on my investment? I want to ask. Call a spade a spade. Maybe it's just me but I find this ridiculous.

You say you've added more specific info about your location but I don't see it. I think it should be on the Home page.

Last, I think the photo that shows up when hovering over the portrait gallery vertical tab is not the best choice. Up the nose, eyes closed, mouth wide open is not what comes to mind if I'm looking for a portrait.

I don't see what is wrong with "Investment". Should it be "Pricing" or "Prices"? Their return is getting images of themselves, their children, or entire family that will be memories for a lifetime. Not a financial return, but we aren't financial advisers, we're photographers.

Where on the home page would you want the location info? I don't know much about web design so examples or instructions would be helpful.

I would agree that Fine Art wouldn't work for the Other tab. That tab doesn't have much to do with our portrait business. It was just a place for us to put fun shots that we like. Maybe removing it will be our best bet. Thanks for the critique!

My wife has made some changes to the blog, let me know if she is moving in the right direction.

...we aren't financial advisers, we're photographers. Exactly! Sessions Fees, Sessions Rates or just Rates. As I said it may be just me but I find it very weird. Kind of like the titles we give to some jobs these days. If I clean rooms at the local motel, don't call me a hygiene technician, just call me a maid. :D

Where on the home page would you want the location info? How about right justified, just above the image: "...serving Chico and whatever else"

The blog looks fine to me. I didn't see the original but this version is about your business. Until one clicks the "DIY projects" and, that, I think could go.

Otherwise, it is a pretty nice website overall. I can't address the technical side like Boom4x4 did because I don't know how to make them work but I agree that it is a very important aspect and that is why mine were designed by pros.

I have to agree. I was going to say something but it already came up. How is this an investment.

"A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its use"
That relates to photography how?

Just saying I would take it out. If you were a well know fine art photographer whose prints appreciated at a decent rate then maybe you could use that term. I would take it out.

Reminds me of the Cutco Knife people "THIS KNIFE IS THE BEST INVESTMENT IN THE WORLD BECAUSE IT CAN CUT A PENNY!!!!"

Last edited:

I have to agree. I was going to say something but it already came up. How is this an investment.

"A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its use"
That relates to photography how?

Just saying I would take it out. If you were a well know fine art photographer whose prints appreciated at a decent rate then maybe you could use that term. I would take it out.

Reminds me of the Cutco Knife people "THIS KNIFE IS THE BEST INVESTMENT IN THE WORLD BECAUSE IT CAN CUT A PENNY!!!!"

Was that the only definition that came up with investment? I think the word can also be used when talking about investing time into something you feel is worthwhile, or investing money into creating memories. The word isn't solely a financial term... but I see where you guys are coming from. May just be a difference of interpretation or preference. It doesn't bother me, but I think "Rates" or "Prices" work as well. Thanks for the input.

Where on the home page would you want the location info? I don't know much about web design so examples or instructions would be helpful.

As an example, look at my site. :blushing: :mrgreen:

I am a minimalist when it comes to designing things. I like the line above the photo that says the quick description about where you are located and all. However, I feel like the front page is just a little cluttered with additional text which isn't my preference. Very good example though... thanks for helping out! I was also thinking about adding the blog slogan to the website but didn't want that to add any clutter either.

I am a minimalist when it comes to designing things.
I like the line above the photo that says the quick description about where you are located and all. However, I feel like the front page is just a little cluttered with additional text which isn't my preference. Very good example though... thanks for helping out! I was also thinking about adding the blog slogan to the website but didn't want that to add any clutter either.

Nothing wrong with that. Just to know that without any text on your home page, you're probably going to suffer in the ratings (being found in the search engines). That's why I suggested to at least change your title tag. ;)

I am a minimalist when it comes to designing things. I like the line above the photo that says the quick description about where you are located and all. However, I feel like the front page is just a little cluttered with additional text which isn't my preference. Very good example though... thanks for helping out! I was also thinking about adding the blog slogan to the website but didn't want that to add any clutter either.

Nothing wrong with that. Just to know that without any text on your home page, you're probably going to suffer in the ratings (being found in the search engines). That's why I suggested to at least change your title tag. ;)

Thanks Mike, I already read the article on your site and will be talking with our friend to see if we can implement some of these things (title tag and things). Why is the home page more important than say the investment of about us tabs? The search engines check the home page more thoroughly or more often or something? Thanks for all the help!

Tbini, I would consider calling your "other" or "random" category "style"...

It is kind of a representation of how your artistic style comes through when there are no constraints of client or subject expectations. Just a thought.

I am afriad that people might expect "style" to mean fashion or in-style portrait type stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though. Also glad the site works well on your phone and has been loading quickly and easily for others as well. Thanks for looking and offering feedback.

Thanks Mike, I already read the article on your site and will be talking with our friend to see if we can implement some of these things (title tag and things). Why is the home page more important than say the investment of about us tabs? The search engines check the home page more thoroughly or more often or something? Thanks for all the help!

Yes. The search engines will find your index page (home page) before they'll find a secondary page (About Us, Investing etc), if at all. Case and point, I went and typed in each url from my navigation bar. I found a couple of pages that were never indexed, meaning Google said "not found". That was after my website was running for over a year. I used another website and blog that I own and listed the "missing" URLs and within a few weeks, they were all indexed. :)

I'm hung up on the last sentence of the 3rd paragraph in the about us section..."Having memories of special moments to look back on and cherish is why we love photography and being able to give that gift to others."

Here's my take - "We love photography because we are able to give you the gift of photos and memories that you will be able to cherish for years to come." Basically just rearranging the words to flow better.

-Grammar Nazi

But seriously, the blog looks better - it is no longer squished on my monitor as it was before, and this background is much less distracting.

I agree with previous posters about "investment" being overused..."Rates" or "Pricing" are what my eyes are usually looking for when I go to a website and plan to spend some money. I think this is because the word "investment" says to me, "you will be paying a lot but let me take up some of your time telling you why you should still buy/use us and hopefully we can rope you in". Just my opinion though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back