Given that AF-assist works only in AF-S is it necessary...

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've found that when I shoot in AF-C even with a somewhat still subject, that my focus is better. I tend to shoot single point if it is only one person and toggle accordingly.

If I use my speed light outside for fill flash or indoors for low light should I be shooting only in AF-S since the auto assist only works in this mode?

Many recommend shooting single point when photographing a group but I just did a test and shot a line of people on the same focus plane with single point, positioned on center persons eyes and then shot the same photo but selected all of the AF points to cover the line of people (i have the Nikon d7000 so t can do that). I found that the focus was by far better when I did that and yet this goes against most advice.

Any take?

In advance, thanks! I know adequate DOF etc affects everything in relation to getting everyone in a group photo sharp but in his circumstance where I tested single point vs selecting more points, my settings were exactly the same. To me it makes sense that the photo would be sharper of a group if more of the AF points r chosen across the plane of people. I guess I'm conflicted bc this is not what most advise to do.

My guess would be that you get better focus using af-c because you are not steady. Sometimes I recommend af-c for people who I know get a lot of motion blur due to their movement. No, it's not what it was designed for, but it is something that I find works for people who can't seem to get good hand holding techniques.

I use af-c when I shoot moving things and panning. I noticed when chasing my bees around recently that even when the bee is sittiing still af-c tends to work better as they move a lot...even if only little steps.

In portraiture, you really should not use af-c. If you are finding you do better with it, it's because you move and the camera often does not know the difference between you moving or your subject moving.

as far as using your speedlight for fill, that has nothing to do with anything in this case. There will be adequate light when using flash solely for fill so the af-assist is a moot point. It is designed to give you a beam of light so the af can focus on your subject.

as to your other stuff, I am guessing your tests were flawed in some regard or not consistent. No need to reply back with a rebuttle...just know that in portraiture you want to nail the eyes in focus...bottom line. Eyes not in focus, its trash. So use single point focus, nail the eyes....then adjust for appropriate DOF as you want in the image. AF is not reliable and might dial in on a ear or a chin and you may have shallow dof and miss eyes completely...etc etc.

Single point, nail the eyes, and adjust dof according to the look you want. No more, no less. Tweak as needed for desired output. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. ;-)

okay =) Yeah, I know when using the speedlight for fill, there is no need for the af-assist, but if I am inside and taking pics of moving people, say dancing at a party, would I then wat to shoot in AF-S to assure using the AF-assist, or AF-C bc they are moving?

Whenever I shoot portraiture I always use single point, never complete auto, though sometimes AF-C stillmas opposed to AF-S....still working on my camera gholding techniques =) But, When I shoot a group, I have found that with my NikonD7000, if I shoot in AF-C (because you can't doit in AF-S) that If I select a point and position it on the center person's eyes, and then also highlight the pother FP's coresponding to the gorpu (you can do so in groups on my camera) it seems to be sharper....

Thanks BTW =)

I never use AF assist. In dark light it can be useful if you are really having a hard time locking focus.You have a very capable focus system in your camera. if you are running into weaknesses with it then make sure you are using a cross type focus point and see if that doesn't help some.
In a professional application it's really less than desirable and not really necessary and in most situations.

AMOMENT said:
okay =) Yeah, I know when using the speedlight for fill, there is no need for the af-assist, but if I am inside and taking pics of moving people, say dancing at a party, would I then wat to shoot in AF-S to assure using the AF-assist, or AF-C bc they are moving?

Whenever I shoot portraiture I always use single point, never complete auto, though sometimes AF-C stillmas opposed to AF-S....still working on my camera gholding techniques =) But, When I shoot a group, I have found that with my NikonD7000, if I shoot in AF-C (because you can't doit in AF-S) that If I select a point and position it on the center person's eyes, and then also highlight the pother FP's coresponding to the gorpu (you can do so in groups on my camera) it seems to be sharper....

Thanks BTW =)

If using more then 1 focal point during group photos works for you and the image is sharper - then do it. It may contradict advice given to you but you gotta do what works for you.

The D7000 is a tricky beast to master when it comes to the focus system. There are some great guides on the internet that do a better job explaining all the in's-and-out's of the D7000 then the manual (Google: 'd7000 autofocus system explained').

I would also recommend turning on the Focus Beep (It only works in AF-S). It gives you the warm-fuzzies that your camera has locked on to its target :).

When i do a portrait i normally shoot in AF-S and Aperture Priority (or Manual depending on lighting)... I frame the subject how i want... Move the focus point as close to the eye as i can.. pre-focus (half press the shutter) (*camera goes beep*).. Try to get the subject to relax (make a joke, tell them to look at something behind me.. etc).. focus again (*camera goes beep*).. Take the picture.

Thanks guys =))) That was really helpful. Hope everyone is well today....

AF assist on SB-700 or SB-900 with D800 = broken. Seriously Nikon, get your s*it together. its horrible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back