Giving away a Canon 7D and 28-135 kit lens (+ a few extras)

Wow this is awesome!! Good work, my opinion on the human race is growing :)

@fjrabon, thank you for graciously offering your camera. This is a wonderful thing you're doing. I would please like to enter. Sorry if this is a bit long, but thank you for the opportunity!
___

Many people have hobbies: stamp collecting, knitting, and working on cars. One hobby/passion of mine is photography, which I tend to attribute to my grandfather. We lovingly called him Pap-Pap.

Pap-Pap loved electronics and technology. Wires were always everywhere (especially coming out from behind the TV). He would readily ‘copy’ rented videos for his grandchildren, and manually censor the violent/romantic parts of the movie. Those were the best parts. I had never known that Julia Roberts kissed Richard Gere in Pretty Woman until much later in life, because Pap-Pap censored that out.

One could open any drawer in the house to find batteries, which were probably used. His multimeter told him they still had juice left, so he kept them. “They can be used for something”, he would say. He built his own speakers, cabinets, and tables. Heck, he built the house he lived in until he passed away. He loved fixing things himself, rather than paying someone to do it. When he fixed things, I usually wasn’t allowed near him. Not so much because of safety, but because my mom didn’t want me to hear his tirade of cursing when something wouldn’t work. There is, however, a picture of me when I was a kid holding a hammer next to his workbench. Or the time that he and I as a toddler sat on lawn chairs on the sidewalk watching construction workers replace sewer pipes in the street. I always wondered if he had an unknown influence on my life in the field of engineering.

Out of all the technology, Pap-Pap loved his camera. The only camera I really remember him having was a Minolta SLR. He had such a nifty flash for it, too. But, as kids, my sibling cohorts and I hated posing for pictures. Occasionally, the flash wouldn’t go off or the camera would refuse to take the picture for some unknown reason. We had to stand there and make the same pose for what seemed like hours until he could get the camera “working again”. We termed this the “Pap-Pap Picture”. Whenever the camera wouldn’t work, or whenever we needed to retake a photo, it was a “Pap-Pap Picture”.

Pap-Pap would have loved the technology nowadays, especially digital cameras. Having the ability to delete a picture instantly would have been his favorite feature. As well as tinkering with photos in Photoshop. That is, if he would have been able to understand how computers worked. When we got our first computer, I tried showing him that I could play solitaire without the need for playing cards. He told me that it wasn’t fair, because “the little arrow is showing you what to do”.

As he got older, however, he lost interest in photography and many other things. Aside from the fact that my mom, siblings, and I moved in with my grandparents when my parents got divorced, he was preoccupied after having three heart attacks and two bouts with cancer. In his older years, he was unfortunately diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. His camera sat there, unused, for many years, until it and many of his negatives were destroyed when the house was flooded several years ago. It goes without saying that when I was finally old enough to appreciate him, he was already gone. As an adult, I fully regret not learning more from him when I was a child. While I may not have his knowledge, I at least have the memories of him and his camera.

I want to dedicate my hobby and passion for photography to Pap-Pap, so I can take “Pap-Pap Pictures”. Aside from the obligatory pictures/candids of family at events, I’ve started to take an interest in portraits. I’ve also had a long-time interest in landscape and cityscape photos. My wife has family in Ecuador and Jordan—we plan to visit each of these countries at least once in our lifetime. Maybe I could include travel photography into the mix. All in all, I want to capture the world through my eyes.

My current set-up is a Canon Rebel XSi, which I bought new with money I had saved over the years. The kit included two lenses (18-55 and 55-250), as well as a cheap tripod and a memory card. Then, life started getting in the way. Once my girlfriend (now wife) and I got engaged, all money was directed away from hobbies and towards the wedding, honeymoon, apartments, furniture, moving, moving again, moving again, and then moving again to a townhouse.

I was able to scrounge up a few bucks here and there for a 50 mm prime, a cheap Yongnuo flash and trigger set, and Lightroom. My wife and family have indulged me by purchasing a Canon 430 flash and another Yongnuo trigger set, as well as a basic umbrella/lighting kit. My in-laws also got me a 10 stop ND filter, which is just so neat. My wife also bought several books on photography, which I’ve recently started reading.

An updated camera, such as the 7D, would allow me to break into a pro-level camera and away from the XSi that I’ve had for several years. I’ve only started to utilize manual and similar modes recently, and I’ve quickly outgrown my XSi. It is a great beginner camera; however, it is not the best at autofocusing. It can take a considerable amount of time to focus, and it gets confused a lot. I’m not the best at manual focus, but sometimes I find myself focusing faster manually than it can in autofocus. It also has considerable noise in most shots above 400/800-ISO. I try not to go over 400, especially if it’s a tad dark.

I would happily offer the XSi and the kit lens/lenses for free on TPF. It has been a valuable camera to me, and whether it gets exchanged for a loved-7D or another camera down the line, I will always appreciate what this camera has done for me. It is a stepping stone for anyone looking to get into photography.

My first shot is the first shot I took using a planned lighting setup.I’ve only started playing with lighting and how that affects the end result. I have so much to learn.

My second shot is of a snowy tree from this past winter. I had my camera with me while driving down the road, and I made a quick stop for this shot. I had wanted to take a picture of this tree for a long time, but the conditions were never right. I rolled my window down, took a few snaps of it, and then we proceeded on our way.

Like the tree, I’ve long wanted to take a shot of this power plant (don’t ask me why). I first learned of this neat spot on the river nearby, where you can stand in one spot and see three different types of power being generated (coal, hydroelectric, and nuclear). This is of the coal plant. It was one of my first long-exposure shots using a ND filter. (Please ignore the watermark on this shot.. I included it because I sent it to my boss, and if it got forwarded, I wanted them to know who took it. :smile:)

The fourth shot is of my puppy (also seen in the first shot). I had just gotten a flash and was playing around with bouncing the flash. I think I nearly made my wife and dog blind with all of the shots I took. I actually didn’t pose her for this shot; she was lying there sleeping. She woke up once she saw me sit down in front of her with my camera.

The fifth shot holds more sentimental value to me than any of the others. It also was not taken with my Canon Rebel. It was taken with a Canon Powershot when we were on our honeymoon. I’m sure there are many things I would do differently now when taking the shot, but this was one shot that truly started to peak my interest in landscape photography.

First:
SelfPortraitTPF.jpg

Second:
SnowyTree - Crop.jpg

Third:
PowerPlantTPF.jpg

Fourth:
RoxyTPF.jpg

Fifth:
HawaiiTPF.jpg

IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_6082 (2).JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
So, I'm not shooting much professionally any longer, so I don't need a third backup body (I currently have a D600 and a D7100). I used to primarily use this 7D for sports with my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II. While I love that combo, I decided it was too great of a lens for me to justify keeping for a camera that I almost never use any more.

I sold the lens, so that is not part of the give away, lol.

What I am giving away is a well-maintained, but well-used Canon 7D and the kit lens. Also included: a Canon battery and an aftermarket charger and a couple of aftermarket batteries and several CF cards. I long ago lost the strap, box, etc. so none of that type of stuff comes with it.

I thought about selling it, as I think I could probably get around $400-$500 for the package, but, eh, I'd much rather help somebody trying to get started with photography.

This thing is built like a tank. It is absolutely as high of a build quality as *ANY* DSLR, at any price level, I've ever used. Its build quality is better than my Nikon D600, for example. It served me very well. It focuses fast and shoots like a demon speed wise. It is absolutely a pro-grade camera. And the kit lens is probably my favorite kit lens I've had, be it Canon or Nikon.

I'm giving it away, here are the conditions:

1) You cannot currently own a DSLR above "entry level" eg Nikon D3X00 series, Canon T3i, T5, etc. If you are confused about this aspect, please ask.

2) If you own one of the aforementioned entry level DSLRs, you must offer it up on TPF as a free giveaway if you get the 7D. Obviously this is irrelevant if you don't currently own a DSLR.

3) You must write and submit an essay on what your goals with photography are, why photography is important to you, why getting this would make a huge difference to your goals that you couldn't easily get on your own and finally what you hope to express with your photography.

4) You must submit in this thread 5-10 photos you have taken that you feel best expresses your style. Don't worry about image quality due to type of camera used. These images will primarily be judged based on content, composition and message, rather than image quality. Include your "portfolio" with the essay from step 3. Also include what camera(s) you currently own or borrow, cell phones, point and shoot, D3100, whatever.

The giveaway will end and a recipient chosen after 1 month or 50 completed, valid entries, whichever comes first.

Thanks for this opportunity first and foremost. What a great person to do such a thing. If i win i will gladly give away my Canon T2i with 55mm-250mm lens.

My name is Mike. I'm a 45 year old married man from Maine. I have 2 great children of 18 and 16. I have been in love with photography since i used to click on the Kodak instant cameras and 110's. Last year. I was diagnosed with a Auto Immune disease. I was within 2 days of dying went i went to the Emergency Room. ( I procrastinated a lot) I spent 11 days in the hospital with this. Since getting the disease.My knees have been shot. I have been a Driver Education Instructor and bus driver for years. The illness that i have has pretty much ensured i won't be able to continue my chosen profession. Where once it was nothing to sit in a Driver ed car for 10 hours, i am now lucky to get though 4. I get tired easy and my joints ache like crazy. Driving bus isn't much better. I have decided to do photography to help supplement my income. There will soon become a time where i'll have to give up my jobs and start focusing on just photography. Plus, i enjoy it. I could really, really use a 7d and lens. I just can't foresee affording one right yet. I take 12 medications a day and they get costly as you can imagine. Photography as of late is a great way to just get lost in another world and not worry about my health. Keeping my mind off of it is great. I get lost in the person or landscape and all is good for a short time. My goal is to some day open a studio. Winning this camera and lens would be a big start. Image quality of the canon 7d would surely surpass my T2i. Plus it's a tank of a camera so i hear. I love shooting outdoor and i'll be submitting a few photos to show that. I shot a few sports games the past couple years with the t2i. WHile it's a good camera for a beginner, i feel i need something more " Professional" I have done a few of my friends kids senior photos and i love working with them. I hope to make that a big part of my "business" . These Photos are unedited due to the size restrictions of uploading to this site.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
  • friends2.jpg
    friends2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 130
Some Decent images going up..I am glad It's not me deciding who gets this rig.

I just saw this, I have been working a ton lately and haven't looked in the buy/sell area for a while.

This is so insanely nice, I can't believe it!!!
I will wright something up tomorrow. :)

Nice giveaway! Best of luck to those who enter

I entered last week and I had Knee surgery Thursday and last night found out I have a infection on the knee that operated on, so it has given me more time then I planned to learn about this Hobby.

I know I have my name in the Hat and Im using a rebel by canon, its older then dirt but I just wanted to say that I have read some great post on here and I would not only be honored to be chosen,I think it would be a great idea for future photographers to get the "pay it forward" bug and help out fellow hobbyist.

I was watching some you tube videos today and wow is the only word I can can come up with as to what you can do with a DSLR.

Im using a Canoe with no paddle compared the the camera that is being offered. The difference is mind blowing and with some of the things I learned today the sky is the limit :)

Thanks again and good luck to all

I have decided to not inter in this. My reason is, that it is similar to my T3i. I know the 7D is a better camera than the T3i, but my camera is only a year old and it was a gift from my Mom. It has been serving me very well, and want to use it up a little more! ;)
So I will set this one out, but I am looking so forward to seeing who gets the 7D.:1219:

Hello! Another “Wow!” response to join the group, as this is a philanthropic gesture beyond anything I’ve seen in my 25 years on this planet. It’s inspiring to observe the ‘Pay it Forward’ philosophy in real time, and I’m excited to contribute.

Here’s my entry: a bit lengthy, but I really wanted to consider the questions you asked on a deep level in order to answer them to the best of my ability.

Photography has always been a passion of mine, although it has remained a sort of subconscious interest that I’ve continuously sought refuge in; I never thought beyond the immediate, gratifying feeling I’m graced with when capturing unique and precious moments on ‘film’. It wasn’t until recently that I considered this as something doable for a career path and decided to take it seriously, dedicating myself to the joys and exultations of photography and making it a serious commitment.

Until now, music has been my main focus. I had the naive, cliché notion that I would go to music school and emerge four years later as a respected, esteemed musician. Luckily, the harsh reality eased its way into my mind before I paid the hefty price tag of admission. Of course, I still play music and realize that it will always be a major part of me, but I’ve learned that we cannot always make a living from doing the things we love. I live to create, and I can’t imagine living a happy and content life without creating frequently in some way.

Embodying that philosophy, I’ve found that the appeal of photography is that it’s something that has a real potential for career growth and satisfies my instinctual need to build, construct, and fabricate on an artistic level. To structure a sustainable and thriving living from doing something that I have always found a rewarding interest would be an absolute dream come true.

For the past six months, I’ve delved into the photography world in order to get a realistic glimpse as to what I might be getting into. I had been actively researching cameras and found the Nikon D5100 to be a great match for my needs (mostly from a budget perspective) and being a great overall fit for a first legitimate camera. After months of waiting patiently via Ebay listings and forum discussions to get an idea of what a good price would be, I found myself ready to take the plunge and buy a ‘big boy’ camera. Before I pulled the trigger on a good deal however, “life happened” as they say.

I won’t go into all the gory, depressing details. Suffice it to say that other than basic living expenses, my current job doesn’t leave much revenue for larger, leisurely purchases. After a decade of not visiting a dentist as a teen who loved candy but loathed dental drills, it has caught up with me. So, for the foreseeable future I’ll be giving away generous amounts of money to my dentist, because I’m a nice guy.

Well... mostly because I hope to never be that fellow with one tooth affectionately called “Chopper.”

Basically, things will get more financially binding before they get better. Getting back to school is also at the top of my list of priorities, which equates to more debt. Woo. The unfortunate reality of ambition is that it costs a lot of money, and the domino effect of my situation is that purchasing a quality camera has been put on the back burner.

Being artistically inclined, I like to capture photos that sort of “paint with the lens.” I would describe this self-named phenomenon as the choosing of subject matter that people look at on a regular basis, yet still find remarkable beauty in. My primary focus thus far has been making mundane concepts extraordinary in ways that give them a new breath of life and inspire appreciation. Life is a series of continuous intercut occasions; photography allows me capture the sequences that mean the most to me -- every emotion, feeling and interaction is retained forever within a 4x6 matte piece of paper (or SD card).

I’m also motivated by moments that spark a torrent of memories from my past; topics that flood me with a sense of nostalgia remind me of why I became interested in photography in the first place. I’ve not even scratched the surface of this yet (nothing to properly scratch with) but I possess a fire inside of me that is waiting for a camera to help me expand on these ideals.

Of the many great features of the 7D, one that would come in particular handy is that it is weather sealed. I love nature and am quite often out in the elements, frequently finding myself inhibited by the whims of Mother Nature. Here in the Pacific North West, it rains.

And rains.

And then rains some more.

Having a camera that has a built-in weather feature would be extremely beneficial during the fall/winter/spring and could serve me from having to take cover every time a downpour ensues. One of my main goals within the field of photography is to have something to show for the moments I feel most content, and the majority of those moments occur within nature. I long for a piece of equipment that allows me to immerse myself in the Earth and have something tangible to show for it.

Perhaps one of the most appealing aspects of acquiring this camera is that it would always represent something on a deep emotional level for me. Not only would it be my first real camera, it would also serve as a constant reminder of a time when something good came into my life when I needed it most – through the universal wonder of happenstance and goodwill from another human being. Whenever I capture cherished moments or venture out in nature in search of the perfect photo, I would be using a treasured piece of equipment. This is such an unbelievable, coincidental opportunity and I'm hoping it will serve as the catalyst that enkindles my success as a professional/recreational photographer. I have a raw and unbridled passion for this medium, and like a painter needs fine paints, I believe that possessing a well-featured camera would enable me to transform my interest from a mere hobby to something I could build a future around.

Edit: Forgot to mention all photos taken with an iPhone 4/5

IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_2529.JPG

Last edited:
Bumping in case some people have missed this fantastic opportunity

I wish I could get it but.. meh.. I can't even apply, I am just starting in photography.. here in Europe cams are expensive, I can't afford new one..

if someone has got a cheap used Nikon D3200 or so, for a cheap price. please let me know. Thanks

I wish I could get it but.. meh.. I can't even apply, I am just starting in photography.. here in Europe cams are expensive, I can't afford new one..

if someone has got a cheap used Nikon D3200 or so, for a cheap price. please let me know. Thanks
You should try anyways! Write up a response and submit a few of your photos! It can't hurt to at least try--you have nothing to lose! :smile:

If anything not currently having a dslr will play in your favor. Do you have any camera phone pictures?

Most reactions

Back