What's new

Giving street photography a try.

Maezel

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2014
Messages
62
Reaction score
32
Location
Sydney
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still trying to overcome the embarrassment of taking pictures of strangers, this is the only picture I could consider "decent" but not entirely happy with it, specially with the post pros, it drived me crazy in some spots.

Auckland's harbour by Martín E., on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Yes, the embarrassment, angry glances and feeling like a moron are an integral part of street photography before you develop such a thick skin you do not care any more :D. But more important in my view is to know the law and how to behave when the argument starts. And how to behave when it is about to start.
My only advice is - try to do what you are afraid to do. Go in the street and shoot. Shoot a lot of a ages of people even though all of it will go straight to the bin. You will learn how different people react and how to deal with it. It is not as scary as you might think. Most people are nice and polite and as embarrassed as you to start an argument.
Do it fast, smile but do not stare at them, shoot one- two frames and move, do not hide your camera or intentions but do not be too intrusive, fell confident, pretend you are casual tourist who shots everything he likes. And try to gradually come closer to your subjects.
 
Yes, I just need to get out more and practice, practice, practice. I can't wait to buy a 35 or 50mm, but I'm currently unemployed and using money on a lens would not be wise now. I go out with the 14-24 and that thing looks pretty ****ing intimidating to some people lol.

Thanks!
 
10-24 is actually quite cool for street photography :D The longer end is useful even though it is much more difficult to shoot wide. A lot of people (me included) often feel safer shooting from the distance with a longer zoom but this is what they get - an image that feels distant or flat. With 24 mm you need to be really close to get a great photo, and I mean like two, three steps close, which is intimidating. The good thing about it - when you shoot from a close distance with a wide lens and your main subject is right besides you and way off centre they often do not realise they are actually in the frame.
 
And you are also in punching distance! :D :p

(14-24, not 10-24, it's quite... big)
 
I think you're allowing your equipment (the size of it) to intimidate you. Probably the one indispensable quality of the photographer is to see the shot. Next is an air of confidence. Even if you know you're going to under-expose, or miss focus, you've got to take the shot with full confidence. That will make a huge difference in the way others react to you.

In this shot, there is very little to recommend it for a "street" shot. You might have gotten a better shot by waiting until everybody left the scene and just shot the empty landscape.
 
Ok thanks :D

Maybe I should start going out with the 18-55 kit fixed in 50 or 35 mm and when I feel more confident switch to wide angle.
 
First image in second attempt is better.
Second image... get yourself a circular polarizer. Makes it so you can see through glass.
 
Ok thx. But I did want the reflections in that case :(
 
I think #3 is interesting. Not least because of where her hand is.

Maybe a little crop?

$14080116145_b73de46896_b - Version 2.webp
 
Street photography is not just taking candid pictures of people; there has to be, or there should be, something interesting that you see and that draws you to isolate it and show it to the viewer.
If that doesn't exist, then the picture is a failure. (imo)
 
Yes, it sucks to look for a job :p

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep on trying.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom