What's new

Giving street photography a try.

Yes, it sucks to look for a job :p

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep on trying.

Look me up with my Facebook link, how long do you need work for?
 
I keep practicing. I feel a little more confident now and I'm starting to lose some of the fear/awkwardness. I feel I can concentrate more on trying to look for a situation/moment to photograph but this is still very hard for me as The_Traveler said before. However I feel that I am making some (small) progress.

Mother and Daughter by Martín E., on Flickr

Thinking 2 by Martín E., on Flickr

Merchant by Martín E., on Flickr
 
much much, much better

Note on the first one that all the action and interest is in the lower right and it is so contrasty that the contrast calls attention to itself.
Cropping that to that corner fills the frame with stuff to look at and it is really clear where the interest lies.

c8dgl.jpg


the second is a nice street portrait, thoughtful, intent, well framed.
Note how the color detracts from the intensity of the image, it looks too bright for the subject of the scene.
IMO, this is a natural for B&W conversion - and it looks really good and intense.



the third I don't think will be worth anything; the hand is cropped off and it looks like a framing error.
There's not enough in the scene to make anything og, I think.

You are definitely on the right track.
Keep on.
Start new threads so people will look at your work.
Best,

L
 
Cool thanks.

My intention for the 3rd one was to show the colors or build something around them, but yeah...

Thanks again for the feedback.
 
I think that intention and an idea is the crucial thing to have.
That's what makes for good street photographs, pictures that actually mean something.
I'm not a fan of pictures that are all mood and dark shadows or just slices of life caught in focus.
What I like in street photographs is where there is something going on that you've seen and caught and presented to the viewer.
That is my style and so I tend to crop and process to that end.
What you like may be different so keep in mind my bias.
 
I like how in the second set you're getting a bit closer to the subject. It makes them seem less distant and disconnected. But I do think they're somewhat...aimless (if that's the right word).

There's not enough interaction between the subject and the camera to really draw an emotional relapse from me, but there's also not any really interesting compositions or ironies in the content that draw me in either.

Well, I take that back. The one photo of the guy smoking next to the black bag is intriguing. He looks like he's waiting for his wife to shop or something and it crates a mystery that does pull me in.


There's something there in a lot of he photos that just needs to be matured I think. And you've done better than I could have done. I'm not good at just going out and cold shooting people like that. Tried it once and I just don't "get it" while I'm actually out there.
 
Thanks!
 
Street photography is not just taking candid pictures of people; there has to be, or there should be, something interesting that you see and that draws you to isolate it and show it to the viewer.
If that doesn't exist, then the picture is a failure. (imo)

I tend to agree however I do take some shots just because the subject is attractive photographically. But just sticking a camera in someones face is nothing worth doing in my opinion. I'm not so fast to call a shot a failure. I think like anything the artist may be fulfilling something other than story telling with their shot.
 
Last edited:
I do a lot of street photography and I prefer to use a long lens. It gives me enough distance to catch the subject in a candid state. It also allows me the time to compose the shot. These are two things that I found I had trouble with when using a wide lens. Not to mention the fact that it can be hard to get a shot up close. Some love using a wide lens and I even enjoy it in the right settings (lots of people close up) but if you have a chance you may want to try it if the idea of getting close continues to bother you.
 
I have no real advice on street photography and its related issues/concerns since I am a rookie with the camera.... but I just gotta say I love the sky in this photo. That is awesome and I am glad you captured it. Well done. Even if it was not the original intent it certainly captured my eye.
 
I'll prefer a little more to show the background/environment and how the subject emerges from that environment but it's just my personal taste.

Nice sniping btw :D
 
WoW!!! What an improvement in such a short time and with what you have without spending any more of your much needed dimes! I like that and I like your attitude to learn...and you did learn very quick too...my warmest congratulations.
 
I really want to buy a 50 1.8 tho :p

Thank you guys! Getting this supportive replies really makes me want to keep practicing.

This is another one I took and liked that I forgot to put here. I think It's one week older than the rest.

Raise your hands! by Martín E., on Flickr
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom