Giving this a go

My style tends to be more close up and personal so it's hard to pull back when I know that I'm going to end up cropping in close.

Even maintaining your style, remember that matting may encroach further into your image.

Also keep in mind standard crop ratios are easier for your customers to find ready made frames for them.

dx~thanks for the link to the PS tutorial. It's fantastic. Yet another area that I have so much to learn about.

I hadn't thought about the matting issue Bitter Jeweler. But, yes. I do keep in mind the framing ratio. I generally do not randomly crop, just did it for that one picture as it was suggested to do a panoramic perspective. Thanks!

NebraskaNewGirl said:
Thanks dx. I do see the blue. I was shooting under WB sunlight with nothing but sunny, blue skies over head. What would you recommend to correct the color? And I agree with cutting too much out of the image. My style tends to be more close up and personal so it's hard to pull back when I know that I'm going to end up cropping in close.

This is what I think (maybe) bitter jeweler was talking about with the framing. If you fill the frame when taking the picture you will probably lose some of the image if you crop it to an 8x10 for print.

Even if you don't shoot RAW you can go to open as - choose camera raw in the file drop down box at the bottom of the dialog box and your JPEG will open in camera raw and you can use the white balance tool to correct the white balance issues. You can also choose different WB options in camera

For fill flash - you should be able to go into the menu and change your flash to manual control - then you can control the flash output by changing it to 1/2 power, 1/4 power, etc.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Megan. I will work with the manual flash controls tomorrow. I did do some experiementing in PS and adjusting the wb in RAW, but it actually made it look more green. I will have to play around with it more and watch more tutorials.

NebraskaNewGirl said:
Thanks for clarifying that for me Megan. I will work with the manual flash controls tomorrow. I did do some experiementing in PS and adjusting the wb in RAW, but it actually made it look more green. I will have to play around with it more and watch more tutorials.

If your screen isn't calibrated it might be hard to get accurate colors. Did you use the dropper? If so, what did you click on? If its too green you can fine tune it with the green to magenta tint slider by sliding it towards magenta.

Hope you don't mind but I pulled one of your photos into camera raw. I zoomed in on the eye and clicked with the dropper on part of the white where RGB #'s were close together and this is the result

I don't know what I have done, but I can no longer open any images in RAW. grrrr However, I was able to properly correct the wb by adjusting the curves on the regular JPEG

NebraskaNewGirl said:
I don't know what I have done, but I can no longer open any images in RAW. grrrr However, I was able to properly correct the wb by adjusting the curves on the regular JPEG

Maybe your ACR needs to be updated.

Perhaps. I just downloaded it last week when I upgraded to PS SC5. I'll check in to that. I tried my hand at proper white balance on another image. The image on the right was corrected by just clicking the "AUTO" settings. The image on the right is done after watching a tutorial on how to correctly correct white balance. Thoughts?
WhiteBalance.jpg

It went a little too extreme. No instead of a super cool image, it's a bit too warm. I have a lot of trouble using the "auto" white balance because it tends to do that to me.

I thought so too, but that's what came about when I closed in on the white of her shirt with the dropper. How's this?

WhiteBalance-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back