Glacier National Park - First time post looking for a critique

SD_Andy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, this is my very first post. I've been doing a lot of reading but have just decided to post for the first time. I'm looking for some critiques mostly on how these images have been processed but also on composition if you wish. Just looking to improve so I'll take whatever input you have. Thanks for the help, I've enjoyed checking out everyone's images.

Also you can check out my instagram account here. Any critiques on those images are welcome there as well. Thanks again.

Andy Gibbs Photography (@agibbs_sd) • Instagram photos and videos

GNP_ - 1 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 2 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 3 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 4 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 5 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 11 (1).jpg
GNP_ - 15.jpg

My first to reactions are:

1. The subjects are generally too small for the frame they tend to get 'lost'.
2. The subjects are generally too large for the frame and parts of them are lopped off.

My first to reactions are:

1. The subjects are generally too small for the frame they tend to get 'lost'.
2. The subjects are generally too large for the frame and parts of them are lopped off.

Thanks Sparky. I kind of thought those difference is what made them interesting. Not to mention that I had reached the limit of my gear or my willingness to crop. I appreciate the feedback and the perspective.

It would be nice if you would number your images when you post more than a couple of them. This makes it a lot easier for a reviewer to refer to an image, rather than having to flip back and forth to ensure that they have the right one for their comments.

You have posted 7 images. This is a lot for a reviewer to "review" as a decent review takes between 2 to 5 minutes, so you are asking folks to take a significant amount of time to review your images. You would be better off posting maybe 2 or 3 pics and asking for a review. Folks are more likely to provide input on a few rather than many.

I agree with Sparky about the size of the subject in the frame and the cropping off of parts. In particular watch that you don't crop off the lower parts of feet and the tips of things like ears, antlers/horns, back ends, etc. Also, watch your placement of the subject in the image. Keep it out of the centre. If you are not familiar with the "rule of thirds" on subject placement, then you might want to "google" it and see how other photographers use it.

Having said that, the last one is my favourite.

WesternGuy

It would be nice if you would number your images when you post more than a couple of them. This makes it a lot easier for a reviewer to refer to an image, rather than having to flip back and forth to ensure that they have the right one for their comments.

You have posted 7 images. This is a lot for a reviewer to "review" as a decent review takes between 2 to 5 minutes, so you are asking folks to take a significant amount of time to review your images. You would be better off posting maybe 2 or 3 pics and asking for a review. Folks are more likely to provide input on a few rather than many.

I agree with Sparky about the size of the subject in the frame and the cropping off of parts. In particular watch that you don't crop off the lower parts of feet and the tips of things like ears, antlers/horns, back ends, etc. Also, watch your placement of the subject in the image. Keep it out of the centre. If you are not familiar with the "rule of thirds" on subject placement, then you might want to "google" it and see how other photographers use it.

Having said that, the last one is my favourite.

WesternGuy

Thank you for the tips on the images and posting. I guess I should have been more clear on what I was hoping to get. I am just looking for general tips on my images and not necessarily specific comments on a particular image. For example, I'm using too much saturation or my white point is off, etc. Perhaps I am asking an impossible task.

edited...

Thank you for the tips on the images and posting. I guess I should have been more clear on what I was hoping to get. I am just looking for general tips on my images and not necessarily specific comments on a particular image. For example, I'm using too much saturation or my white point is off, etc. Perhaps I am asking an impossible task.
I suspect that asking for "general tips" may be, as you have indicated, "an impossible task", well almost. Each image is quite different, 4 different moose images, 2 deer and one coyote, all with different background/foreground settings. Personally, I would find it difficult to provide general tips on things like saturation and white balance, as they can be adjusted in post-processing (PP). What might work for one image, might not work for another one. I shoot raw, so I can adjust the white balance in PP. Saturation is another thing that you adjust in PP and depends a lot on the "content" of the image. I could take two landscape images from the same point, looking in two different directions and find that the white points might be a bit different and that one might need more, or less saturation than the other, although I like to use "Vibrance" rather than "Saturation" as it tends to look a bit more "natural", at least to me. You might want to run a search on "saturation in post processing" and have a look at the results.

If you haven't seen it, there is a good book by Brian Peterson, that you might want to look at - https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...1-1&keywords=bryan+peterson+photography+books . Make sure that you get the latest edition.

WesternGuy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For example, I'm using too much saturation or my white point is off, etc. Perhaps I am asking an impossible task.
No not impossible - once you say what kind of C&C you're wanting.
So to me, it sounds like you want C&C regarding your post processing.

For someone else to judge if you're using to much saturation or your white point is off you need to post the un-edited original and the edited version.
Plus C&C of post processing is pretty much what the Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery forum is for.
I recommend only posting 1 image set, original & edit at a time.

If you shoot and process Raw files, what Raw file converter do you use?
Are you aware of what types of edits enhance an image's 'presence'?

Most reactions

Back