Video Capture Fireworks (from 2015)

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did not do any photography on Canada Day this year. It was not the first time that I missed it, but this year, it was mainly due to the wild-fire smoke in the air. Originally I planned to be out and recording the fireworks, assuming they were on. Having some smoke might have been a good photographic experience. But I was not really looking forward to it and I got distracted, and at the time I needed to leave, my mind was on other things.

I have posted fireworks videos before on YouTube, so I checked back and I found this one, which is interesting because it was back about eight years and probably recorded on a "cheap" camcorder. I remember bits and pieces about the experience, but I cannot recall which camera I used. At least I am not certain of it.

Anyway, if you do not record any fireworks this year, you can look at this video:

"Canada Day 2015 Fireworks - Amesbury Park - Toronto",
posted Jul 4, 2015, [length 8:28, 68 views]
""

I read my online description of this video clip and thought back on that night. I remember the weather forecast had some probability of light rain. I think that it did drizzle a bit, but long before the fireworks, and it was "dry" at the time of the show. But this affected my camera choice. I believe that I was planning to use either a Canon or Sony camcorder., either of which had a zoom starting at a mild wide angle (about 35 degree). But with a chance of rain, I ruled out a conventional camcorder because such cameras had rechargeable batteries hanging off the rear with contacts that might be exposed enough for rain to cause problems. Instaed, I believe I opted for a "Coleman TrekHD" which is a fully submersible waterproof camcorder having a nice 1080P image with a fixed focal length lens with a viewing angle roughly that of a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. For fireworks, within the zone I would be located, this is a bit too "telephoto", but if it got rained on, it would be safe.

The sound was "auto-level controlled", which is not what I would prefer these days, but back then I think it was probably better than my having to worry about it.

Looking at this type of project today, I would prefer to have 2 camcorders running. I would set one at about 20 - 28mm focal length (35mm film view equivalent) and the other around 35 - 50mm. Longer focal lengths are not generally advantageous because the fireworks shows are generally designed to be impressive when viewed with naked eyes, which generally means they tend to be "big". Exposure should be kept "low" to retain the colours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back