Glass lighting experiment

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thought I would give it a shot. Been a long time since I've done it, and the last time I didn't really like the results. REALLY want your thoughts and how to improve here. First, the setup.

Lighting the glass experiment by Michael Long, on Flickr

Now, the shot.

Lighting the glass experiment by Michael Long, on Flickr

Gimme some feedback, folks. I'm not overly happy with it, but unsure what it needs to get where it needs to be.

The second one is better IMO, but I think perhaps your lights are too far apart. Have you tried putting a light behind the mask and shooting toward the glass. That's how I lit this:
Dalhi.jpg

I also have a piece of smoked plexi that I put under the glass to get the stem/base reflection.

Hmm. I can try turning the table and getting them closer. I do need a sheet of plexiglass though. Let me see what I can wrangle up here.

Getting there; I think your lights need to be lower (height-wise), and you need to get a reflector to bring some light in on the rim. The glass is nicely shaped now, excpet for the rim which is all but lost.

How on earth do I get that rim to light up? I'm having massive problems figuring that out.

The rim light is a reflection of the two white foam boards you have on either side of the glass just out of frame.

using tapatalk.

I know, but the rim just gets lost in the black... :(

Here's the revised setup with revised result:

IMG_20160219_185856240 by Michael Long, on Flickr

Note the speedlite surrounded by black paper. I threw that in with a reflector over the glass. Hit the target, but not satisfied with the result.

Lighting the glass experiment 4 by Michael Long, on Flickr

Note the complete lack of rim at all. Nothing. It's just gone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back