What's new

Glass Photography Practice... It's Difficult....Take 2!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Braineack! The video really helped. I'm getting there, but I have a few small issues with this one that I look to fix in the future, but my dorm room is just too small.

This time, I went with Mtn. Dew. Comments and Critiques are always welcome!




Green Machine by f_one_eight, on Flickr


And the setup.









Best,
Jake
 
Last edited:
I think the gradated background is not helping. Also the light reflections have some uneven figure in them. Also, I'm not a fan of the reflection on the table glass either. FWIW: I think your first example was better.
 
I think the gradated background is not helping. Also the light reflections have some uneven figure in them. Also, I'm not a fan of the reflection on the table glass either. FWIW: I think your first example was better.

Hmmm. Interesting. I really like the gradated background, but agree that the reflections aren't perfect. I think I like this one more because the reflections aren't nearly as harsh as the last ones were...


Best,
Jake
 
Yes, they were harsh, but in a good position and can be turned down by cutting the amount of light.
 
Yes, they were harsh, but in a good position and can be turned down by cutting the amount of light.

I think my biggest problem is a lack of stands, and room. The light bounce from all the close walls really limited my movement of lights, stands, etc. I can't wait to have more room to work!
 
Looks good man. Need to make it look cold though.
 
I think the background could work but maybe the box you set it on against the wall? And place the bottle farther away ? This way you don't see such a hard dark floor. But the bottle looks good.
 
I like the BG, don't like the black groundground.
 
I think the background could work but maybe the box you set it on against the wall? And place the bottle farther away ? This way you don't see such a hard dark floor. But the bottle looks good.

I agree. I need a better surface to shoot on.

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, they were harsh, but in a good position and can be turned down by cutting the amount of light.

I think my biggest problem is a lack of stands, and room. The light bounce from all the close walls really limited my movement of lights, stands, etc. I can't wait to have more room to work!

I just need to state something.

You do not need another, bigger room! Yours is just fine. The light is the problem. Cut the light. Be creative with things you already have in that room. Seeing your setup makes me think you're really making this more complicated then it needs to be.


Your doing good for your second try.

jmho
 
Yes, they were harsh, but in a good position and can be turned down by cutting the amount of light.

I think my biggest problem is a lack of stands, and room. The light bounce from all the close walls really limited my movement of lights, stands, etc. I can't wait to have more room to work!

I just need to state something.

You do not need another, bigger room! Yours is just fine. The light is the problem. Cut the light. Be creative with things you already have in that room. Seeing your setup makes me think you're really making this more complicated then it needs to be.


Your doing good for your second try.

jmho

I think it just looks super complicated because of my rigged setup


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
A few suggestions:


1) The white thing on the left side is all slanty and wobbly and drape-y, and it's not doing anything to help your control of shapes on the bottle. Neither are the huge unaccounted for gaps in between your control surfaces. You need to tighten the space.
a) You could move everything closer to the bed, and drop the product closer to the ground. Reduces gaps and lets your left side reflector lie more vertically, since you can just start it at the top of your mattress area and drop straight down.
b) Alternatively, buy another crossbar and stands. That's what I would do. Then everything is easy, rectilinear, totally controllable.
2) If, due to #1, the left is now reflecting more than you want, simply replace the white with the gray bedsheet you already own to compensate for that.
3) Mount the backdrop on a piece of black foamcore (couple dollars) instead of that white paper, to cut on unwanted bounces and patterns.
4) Also black foamcore on the floor.
5) Also black foamcore simply laid across the two crossbars (or the crossbar and the mattress, depending on 1a vs 1b) kills any ceiling bounce.
6) Spray your hanging sheets with water beforehand and let sit to help kill wrinkles that might show up in the reflection.
7) Flagging the sides of the gap between the umbrella and the sheet might help with bouncing patterns. Again, a piece of black foamcore (cut in half) on either side and just laid against the gap would do it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom