Glendora Fire (pic heavy)

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Usually when interesting things happen, I look up, say "oh wow"....and then head off to work. Today, I had a late start.....so when I looked out the window and saw heavy orange clouds......I grabbed the camera and headed out. Still limited by time, but not as much as usual.

This is the Glendora Fire, also known as the Colby Fire in the San Gabriel Mountains on the eastern side of Los Angeles. Apparently started by 3 knuckleheads that were camping in very hot and blustery weather and enjoying a campfire. Yes, it is in the 80s in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, several homes have been lost to this fire.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Desi

Glendora Fire #14 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #13 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #12 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #11 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #10 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #9 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #8 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #7 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #6 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #5 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #4 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #3 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #2 by Desi595, on Flickr

Glendora Fire #1 by Desi595, on Flickr

I like how you show the air drops in action in #4 and #11.

#10 almost looks volcanic.

Hey Weepete....this is the third fire within site of my house for this fire season. It is unusually hot and dry this year. But, fires in this area are a fairly common occurrence.

rlemert.....true, I didn't make that connection, but that does look like lava. Most of the drops were just water from one of the local reservoirs. Now and then they would drop this red fire-retardant.

I wish I could've taken the day off work and gone to see the planes scooping up water. It was very close to where I was standing for these shots.

This morning the sky is just a bit hazy. The fire continues burning, but not quite like yesterday.

Thanks, Desi.

I seem to recall Colby Canyon burned some years back. I don't remember when, exactly.

Really remarkable images. #4 is fantastic, and there are 4-5 more that I liked a lot, too. Great job on these.

There's a lot of great photos there. Love the ones with the fire planes in action-my favorite is the one of the plane flying into the sunset. Great work.

Nice photos.

My coworker lives in Glendora. He has pics on his iphone of the flames visible from his front porch yesterday morning. Luckily it was moving away from his house. My girlfriend is a school teacher in Altadena a few miles west of Glendora. She says the smoke is affecting her asthma today. :(

Whoohoo, I grew up in Glendora, class of 1964...damn mountains burn on a regular basis.

Hey everyone...thanks for the comments. glad you are enjoying the photos.

Bhop....hope your GF's asthma improves......as if the air quality in LA wasn't bad enough.

Most reactions

Back