Gloomy Day Power plant

LINYBIMMER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it is a gray and overcast day on Long Island. Here are two shots of the same subject with different post processing applied to them. Which do you like better? Any comments on framing, composition, or pp? Thanks for looking and sharing your opinion:

1. DSC02246 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

DSC02239 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

Jim
:popcorn:

IMO on overcast days it's better to get out you tele lens, focus on the details rather than the whole picture and try to leave the sky out of the frame as much as possible.

How about something like this:

pwrplant.jpg

Thanks for the edit, Ysarex. I prefer the billowy clouds and the power lines that bisected the photo. To me, the power lines did two things: they drew the viewers eyes into the photo and they served as recognition that the plant is still operating and delivering electricity. At least to me? Thanks for showing a different view of the scene. It's neat to get perspective. Heres one I took at the beach this morning, and fiddled around with the white balance:

DSC02316 by jimkerr1961, on Flickr

A different look, but I like the way it made me feel when I finished processing it!

IMO on overcast days it's better to get out you tele lens, focus on the details rather than the whole picture and try to leave the sky out of the frame as much as possible.

Thanks Fokker. I got my eye on you!

In the first image the blank sky goes with the image well, probably blue does not match there :D

The last image is well out of focus; yet i liked it overall :D

Your 2nd picture says it's currently unavailable. As for the 1st picture, it's certainly a overcast day here on LI. I should know, I've lived here for the last 55 years. I concur that cropping out as much of the sky would be a wise decision. Also shots like these with strong vertical lines like the chimneys are often distorted. You need to correct that the best you can. What town were these pictures taken at?

BTW, nice to finally see someone else from LI here on the list.

The last image is well out of focus; yet i liked it overall :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks Frequency. I did that on purpose, hoping for a painterly feeling.

Your 2nd picture says it's currently unavailable. As for the 1st picture, it's certainly a overcast day here on LI. I should know, I've lived here for the last 55 years. I concur that cropping out as much of the sky would be a wise decision. Also shots like these with strong vertical lines like the chimneys are often distorted. You need to correct that the best you can. What town were these pictures taken at?

BTW, nice to finally see someone else from LI here on the list.

Joel,

Those pictures were taken at Bar Beach in Port Washington.

Most reactions

Back