GND8 + CPOL?

thereforeiamx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marieeisley.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm considering getting a CPOL and a GND8 or 8 for my Sigma 10-20mm, but I do have a lot of questions:

1 - Does Hoya make graduated NDs? I only see NDs being sold at B&H.
2 - Hoya only makes their NDs as glass screw-on filters, yes?
3 - When it comes to Lee or Cokin resin filters, I've been hearing that Lee filters are much better in quality. Regardless, wouldn't either be likely to make vignetting issues on a 77mm lens, along with the CPOL?

:meh:

Last edited:
4 - What combination of CPOL and GND can I use to avoid vignetting? Maybe getting both of them slim screw-ons?

:meh:
Don't think I'll be able to help much with your other questions, but I don't think you'll be able to get both of them slim. Slim filters don't have filter threads, so you won't be able to stack another filter on top of it.

I don't see any G-NDs in Hoyas line but I don't have a recent catalogue. Regardless, for G-NDs you should avoid screw on filters and go with the gel (Cokin/Lee) type. The problem with circular G-NDs is that the graduated zone is always in the centre, which is often NOT where you want it in your image. With the gel filters you can set the transition anywhere you want it. A lot of people malign Cokin filters, especially their ND/G-NDs but I've never had a prloblem, nor have I seen any evidence of the alleged 'purple caste' that you often hear about.

As far as the vignetting question, at 10mm you're going to run into vignetting with any screw-in filter, but you will have less with a slim CPOL. Again, if you're using the gel filters, than you can use a thin-mount CPOL (As mentioned above, they have no female threads) and simply hand-hold your P-size gel filter in front of it.

Edited to add an important bit; thanks Kundalini! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Singh-Ray

If you get the rectangular filters (P size or larger), regardless of brand, there should be no issues with vignetting.

With a 10-20mm Sigma, I would definetly get a slim version of the CPOL. I like and own B+W MRC.

Most reactions

Back