Go your own way

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Still life titled "Go Your Own Way":

Go_Your_Own_Way_7619.jpg

Setup Info: I set up the light for this shot mostly just to play with the concepts involved with some of Dean Collins single light arrangements, where he uses various materials to diffuse, bounce, flag and mainline select areas of the composition to get really good control with just a single light source.

For this, I used a single 580EX II @ 1/16 power and 50mm zoom, shot at left edge of an umbrella on a separate stand positioned to right of subject (from camera POV) in order to get partial through umbrella to diffuse white feathers, straight past edge of umbrella to fully light colored feather including white card to colored feather left, gobo using a silver reflector between lower umbrella front and vase to reduce specular highlights and bring out detail in vase, the white bounce card to the left of the subject is to fill that side, and to bounce off the silver reflector being used as a gobo to re-light the vase with a much softened and diffused light on the other side, shot against a black backdrop with the vase on a black wooden surface @ 100mm, f/9, ISO 100.

Nice work. Thanks for the info on the setup. Is there a color cast on the white feathers? or are they colored?

Nice work. Thanks for the info on the setup. Is there a color cast on the white feathers? or are they colored?
Thanks. It's a color cast that popped up really pronounced when I sharpened it, especially the one nearest the colored feather, which picked up a lot of influence from it.

I should probably selectively desaturate them, eh?

nice play, and the pic structure got very skillful

Wonderful & unique!

You've oversharpened it somewhat. I'd have sharpened a second layer and then erased the parts that had become pixelated.

Yeah I think the sharpening maybe a tad over. Try Fly's suggestion

Thanks folks. Much appreciated. I'll try the suggestion to reduce the sharpening somewhat and deal with that color cast. :thumbup:

I like it......I just wish all the feathers were white. :thumbup:

I like this but I think it would be a "knock out" if all the feathers were white.
just a thought,,:)

I like it.

But I think the vase/holder is too ornate (and ugly).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back