GODOX Strobes

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about dipping my toe into some portraiture, and I'm looking at studio strobes. I was thinking about picking up a few AlienBees B800 units. It looks like they are $280 from the website. Then I was looking on B&H and they carry the GODOX strobes. I've read some pretty positive things about their equipment. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two?

Also, I can't seem to figure out the difference between the following lights:
SK400ii
DP400ii
GS400ii
QS400ii

They all seem to have the same specs.

Thanks!

Speedotron Brownline (or Blackline if you want the top line) off eBay.
May not be as flexible as monolights, but they do the job without breaking the bank.

I bought the flashpoint xplor 600 which is the same thing. Not disappointed.

Godox is actually a surprisingly good buy for the buck; it's not pro gear, and won't stand up to continual hard use, but I bought an AD-360II a while back when I needed a light that had a bit more oomph than a regular speedlight, but with TTL and HSS. That said, as @ac12 points out, Speedotron is undoubtedly the best bang for the buck in pro gear. Speedo Brownline is my primary system, and it's hard to beat. Built like a tank it will take anything you can throw at it. It's every bit as flexible as a monolight set, but it is a different way of working when using a pack & head system.

I have a lot of Speedotron gear, both Brown Line and Black Line, and have been an owner of Brown Line since 1986, and Black Line since 2001. Pack and head systems are a different animal than monolights, and have several advantages, and some disadvantages as well. A Brown Line kit from eBay with the D402 power supply and three or four light units would cost perhaps as low as $250, to perhaps $325, depending on a few factors, so that would be FOUR light units and the power pack (AKA the flash generator), bringing each light cost down to well under $100 per unit. But no, it is not as flexible as a monolight.

Here is the GODOX official page in English: GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Products

Their GS or Gemini series looks pretty good: GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD GEMINI GS Series Flash

The QS series has BUILT_IN wireless triggering, wireless modeling lamp adjustment, and wireless power output adjustment capability--all of which would be nice.

But, HONESTLY...I think that something lower-cost than Alien Bees is the best starting kit. I've suggested Flashpoint 320M monolights from Adorama for the last almost 10 years, due to cost. The 320M puts out MORE light than an Alien Bee 800 does (the numbers that most makers use are greatly inflated...the 320M is like 150 Watt-seconds, the Alien Bee 800 is a little less than that in terms of measured output). And honestly, I think 400 Watt-second monolights are a poor choice for many users: too MUCH power!!! 400 Watt-seconds is too much power for many uses, and it's nice to have some lower-powered light units to ratio, as fill, background, and accent lights, against your Main light...

BUDGET? How many lights? Etc,etc..

I say go for 3, or 4 $99 to $129 monolights from Adorama or eBay...and do NOT spend much money on your first set of monolights!

I have a flashpoint xplor 600 and a few of their li-ion R2 speedlights. They’re rebranded godox units so essentially the same thing, and they have been great thus far. Would definitely recommend.

I use the adorama streaklight 360 and one of their speedlights. As @Destin said, this is the Godox stuff rebranded.

I like the quality and the portability of the streaklight and I use it more than the studio strobes that I have even indoors, just because I can put it anywhere and not have wires everywhere.

I'm thinking about dipping my toe into some portraiture, and I'm looking at studio strobes. I was thinking about picking up a few AlienBees B800 units. It looks like they are $280 from the website. Then I was looking on B&H and they carry the GODOX strobes. I've read some pretty positive things about their equipment. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two?

Also, I can't seem to figure out the difference between the following lights:
SK400ii
DP400ii
GS400ii
QS400ii

They all seem to have the same specs.

Thanks!

You need to decide if you need High Speed Synch capability (like the ability to shoot flash shots at say 1/500 to 1/4000 second); if you "need" built-in wireless command over flash unit settings like power output and triggering; and if you "need" battery-powered monolights, or are okay with using either wall-supplied electricity or with using a portable sine wave inverter and battery (Like the Paul C. Buff "Vagabond", or the Innovatronix "Explorer" type units); and you need to decide on a budget.

BASIC monolights cost a lot less than ones that have wireless triggering and adjusting and which can do high seed synch flash. Battery-powered units like the Xplor 600 are quite a bit more sophisticated than are basic light units.

Thank you for all the great advice. I was looking at the Flashpoint/Godox monolights, and for $100, it seems that I can get a pretty decent starter strobe. But then I started thinking about size, weight, and power cords, and I'm thinking the AD200 might be a better way to go. The battery system and portability look like HUGE advantages.

yeah those are neat little units. I gotta find the video I watch about them -- the photographer really liked them, but used something more powerful with certain shots, but I have seen a dual bracket that you can mount two next to each other which is nice.

okay I found -- see near the end (5:00):

Thanks for the video. Mostly, I do weddings. I'm using 2 Metz flashes off camera on stands with Phottix triggers. If I got the AD200s and compatible TX units, I could use those instead. I wouldn't need receivers, I could adjusted them from the TX on the camera. Also, it would save me a lot of battery charging. Unfortunately, it would also add weight to the light stands, and I'm always worried about people knocking them over.

adding weight the the base of a stand is better in that regard...

Good video. The eVOLVE 200 flash unit looks very interesting.

But back to the monolights: If you want to use studio-style flash outdoors, the high speed flash synch capability would be extremely useful! Being trapped at 1/250 or slower in the summer months is a PITA at times. The ability to jack the shutter speeds way high, in order to shoot at f/2.8 or even at f/1.8 for blown-out defocus on backgrounds would be nice, and that capability would open up creative possibilities galore, so high-speed flash capable monolights would be useful for a wedding outdoor location. Also, being able to control background brightness through fast shutter speeds would be another useful capability HSS monolights would give you.

Turtle base light stands (Avenger, or Matthews, or other brands) AKA "C-Stand" style are hard to knock over. Heavy, yes. But the best on unlevel ground, or when real stability is desired. Also...you can clamp-in boom arm weights to the base and make 'em very,very bottom-heavy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back