Going for the big boy camera

IByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How's going all to read this post. After carefully thinking about it, I have decided to upgrade my current camera to Nikon D7000. With my current skills it will be great device to grow into as my skills improve. It's about time I practice what I preached, and think about my long term commitment to this great hobby. The only issue is I have a D5000, not much of a selling point considering the newer model that came out recently. On the plus side I have a little more to offer my potential buyers with an active two year AHD (accidental coverage), two of the standard kits lens, a few filters and a pretty decent bag to start out with. I am pretty sure I can at least ask 625 to start out with, but I know I am looking much lower and put that money away until B&H have more D7000 bodies. Let me know what you think, all suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.

First suggestion....post it in the for sale section. Second suggestion....post it in the for sale section with a price. Third suggestion, post it in the for sale section with a price, location, photos, etc, etc. If you're just looking for suggestion on how much to ask for it, start high and let someone make you an offer or look on ebay & craigslist for comparable items.

Congratulations on the new camera and good luck selling your D5000.

When did the D7000 become a big boy camera? I would consider the D700, D3s, D3x and now the D4 in the big boy category. Just saying.

I think the D7000 is a nice upgrade from the D5000 too. There is a lot of debate over and over as to it being a pro or entry level piece of gear. It really has elements of both, which I think makes it a great upgrade camera. Going to a D700 or D3-4 means changing sensor formats and going full frame. This means different lenses with different characteristics from what you are use to. Is FF all that much better? I think that if you were a professional coming from a 135 film camera it would make perfect sense. However, you have already established yourself with a crop frame camera, why change formats if you are comfortable with the one you are useing. As for selling the D5000, keep it and use it as a backup. (jmho)

Hmm never thought of keeping the 5000 on the backburner. I would want to sell it before it really goes down in value, but I would have to wait for god knows how long, because every known store are out of the 7000 bodies. In terms of the "big boy" phrase, I meant the body in the long run will be a lot more camera for me to grow in. Not planning on doing this professionally, or at least not for events lol. Just what I have been reading researching it's for the most part, it's a solid piece of equipment with a wider variety of lenses rather than the 22 compatible(expensive, third party or otherwise) lenses currently for the 5000.

Last edited:
When did the D7000 become a big boy camera? I would consider the D700, D3s, D3x and now the D4 in the big boy category. Just saying.

What useful comment...

OP- The D7000 is a great all-around body. It packs a lot of punch for it size & price. I'm sure you won't have a problem selling your D5000.

What useful comment...
Maybe not to you, but it might be to someone else.

There is no doubt that Nikon considers the D7000 an entry-level camera. Their product numbering/naming system is unambiguious.

D1, D2, D3, D4 are all pro series cameras, including the ones that have other letters or numbers added like the D1x, D2h, or D3s.

Prosumer series Nikon DSLRs all have a 3 digit numbers - D100, D200, D300/D300s, D700.

Nikon used 3 digit numbers for their earlier entry-level cameas, but ran themselves out of numbers and had to switch to 4 digit numbers:
D40 - D40x - D50 - D60 - D70 - D70s - D80 - D90 - D3000 - D3100 - D5000 - D5100 - D7000

Logic would indicate the successor to the D7000 will be the D7100.

Last edited:
Well after some hard decision making, I decided to keep my 5000 body. There's plenty of life in my 5000 to keep me satisfied, and a good amount of practice that I can learn from it before I make the jump into the better bodies. That being said, with the recent price drop has made the d700 a little more enticing than the d7000. By reading these forums and the internets I bought a couple of new lenses which overall made the better sense. Thanks all for your input and this fall I'm taking a formal digital photography college course whooo hooo!

compared to a D5000 a D7000 is a HUGE big boy cam.

edit: buy the cam!

Last edited:
He hasn't bought the d7000 yet people.

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00003565/reading-rainbow-2.jpg

OP: Great choice on keeping the d5000, I was going to ask what your reasons were for the upgrade. A lot of people think they need a better body, but after purchasing, they find out their shots look eerily similar with their older camera. There's so much to learn and grow with your current body.

*EDIT* Image removed, Link provided....b/c I was fussed at for it not being my image lol.

Last edited:
He hasn't bought the d7000 yet people.

OP: Great choice on keeping the d5000, I was going to ask what your reasons were for the upgrade. A lot of people think they need a better body, but after purchasing, they find out their shots look eerily similar with their older camera. There's so much to learn and grow with your current body.

Disagree. HUGE ISO advantage with D7000. HUGE difference looking through viewfinder, focus. HUGE difference in controls. Huge difference in build quality. D7000 has focusing motor in body.

Can't even compare these two cameras. Confused by some of these posts heh

I don't have a rainbow fail but some of the above earns a:
gaytroll.gif

Disagree. HUGE ISO advantage with D7000. HUGE difference looking through viewfinder, focus. HUGE difference in controls. Huge difference in build quality. D7000 has focusing motor in body.

Can't even compare these two cameras. Confused by some of these posts heh

I don't have a rainbow fail but some of the above earns a:
gaytroll.gif

Your post is void because you failed to read again.

Where in my post do I mention that the d7000 isn't an "UPGRADE" of a camera? My post is purely based off of knowledge alone. Many people seem to think they NEED an upgrade b/c their images are not "up to par" in their eyes, when in reality it's their "vision", lack of lenses or use of the camera that is the issue.

I've taken great images with a d3000, so to say he can't take great images on a d5000 is ridiculous or the fact that he needs a d7000. All the points you brought up about the d7000 are legit facts and yes, its a better camera, but again...not what I said in my post.

*Note* I have no idea if the OP is even a legitimate photographer anyways, so these statements are blanket statements about others who tend to think they need the upgrade, so OP, don't get offended.

PS: OP, how long have you owned the d5000 for? What lenses do you currently own? Off Camera Strobes?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back