What's new

Going for the bottle..! ((( HELP )))

Raincheck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
222
Reaction score
98
Location
Dublin, Ireland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi forum,

I need to take some photos of glass objects, did a test to see if I am able to pull this off.
It needs to be on a light (white) background and I don't have an professional studio and lights.
In this case I used one off camera flash and just white A4 paper to reflect the light.

$IMG_9999_DxO.webp

Tips are more then welcome

Rain
 
Well I'm no expert but I can't see anything obviously wrong with this one. Especially for not having a professional studio it came out pretty professional looking!
 
This shot looks great. It doesn't seem like you need to change anything up in my opinion.
 
I think the bottle gets lost in the background, specially the sides. Try to seperate it some.
 
I recently did something similar. But I have a studio strobe and I used a softbox on it camera top. This helped with separating out the glass from the background. You could probably use a similar setup with your speed light.

7428691498_8af7cc0397_c.jpg
 
Thanks girls & guys,

So you light it also from the top will have a go with that (will source an other flash and defuse it)

Rain...
 
For the above photo I used only one light. Softbox was probably the key here, it was very close and at the lowest power to achieve shortest flash duration possible. You can find some light modifiers for your speed light including softboxes. Good luck.
 
The 2nd shot is much better. Good work!
 
Go to the craft store. Pick up a couple of black foam-core boards. Place them on the left and right sides of the bottle OUT of the frame (the foam-core boards won't be in the photo). What they'll do is create a reflection on the edges of the glass that will help define the bottle so that it doesn't wash out agains the background. You'll need to play with the placement of the cards to get the level of edge definition that you want.

While you're at the craft store picking up black foam-core board, pick up some white boards as well. Anytime you photograph reflective objects it sometimes helps to have a choice of of reflective surfaces that you can hide just outside the frame.
 
Okay an other try,

Don't see see much difference tried to add some black boards on each side but maybe they where to far from the object.

$glass_test.webp

Also the background needs to be white any way I'll keep on trying :)

Grtx Rain
 
TC,

Thanks for the links they are very helpful... gonna try it out over the weekend.

Grtx Rain
 
The 2nd shot is much better. Good work!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Big Lol :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ONTOPIC: I'm not an expert but, than that reported, little definition at the edges of the bottle, there is a dirty white at the top right corner that can be eliminated :thumbup:
 
Hi again,

Last try before I get some good material like a table extra lights and stands for the black boards.
But here my last result, I'm getting there thanks to TC!

$glass_test2.webp

Have to tweak the light but I understand how it works now :)

Grtx Rain...

Ps if you think you can do better please post your shot (light background is a must!)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom