going INSANE trying to pick a lens.. HELP!

tatumheiser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
looking for a new lens. an everyday walk around lens but also something i can take portrait shots of my little girl with also. i have the d7000 and the 50 f1.8... for the most part i love this lens.. i love the bokeh. the only thing is its a little too close for some shots and in close spaces.. im looking for something a little wider. zoom or no zoom.. it doesnt really matter, but a zoom would probably be nice.. the
"portraits" will mostly be shot with natural light, but a flash will also probably be used eventually when doing just everyday shots. on top of this, suggestions on a flash would be great :) i dont need anything spectacular.. just something thats a few steps up from the bad on camera flash...

sooooo, with this being said.. my budget right now is about 400$
if there is a lens youd recommend for around this, i could put the flash off for a while i guess. or if there is a cheaper lens that isnt so great in low light but is good with flash, i could do that too.
ughhh so many decisions!!!!!

good bokeh is necessary i would say.. and no CRAZY distortion at wide angles.. am i asking too much? :p

new or USED is fine with me :)

also, i dont use a tripod. im not a fan for some reason.. dont know if this matters or not :)

thanks!!

Have you looked at Nikon lenses yet?

Your needs are met with the 35mm f/1.8 I'd say. It will give you a 50mm FoV on your 1.5x camera.

o hey tyler said:

Your needs are met with the 35mm f/1.8 I'd say. It will give you a 50mm FoV on your 1.5x camera.

That or the tamron 17-50.

o hey tyler said:

That or the tamron 17-50.

That too.. It's just in my blood to suggest primes. :p

i have looked at EVERYTHING lol nikon, sigma, tamron.. all kinds. many are out of my budget. if i go with a zoom, i think i would like something that DOESNT stop at 50 since i already have the 50 1.8
i try not to go off of reviews on websites because for every excellent one, theres a completely terrible DO NOT buy one. i have also heard tho that the 35mm 1.8 doesnt have "pretty" bokeh. your thoughts on this??

i have looked at EVERYTHING lol nikon, sigma, tamron.. all kinds. many are out of my budget. if i go with a zoom, i think i would like something that DOESNT stop at 50 since i already have the 50 1.8
i try not to go off of reviews on websites because for every excellent one, theres a completely terrible DO NOT buy one. i have also heard tho that the 35mm 1.8 doesnt have "pretty" bokeh. your thoughts on this??

I don't shoot Nikon, so I haven't a clue what the bokeh is like on a shot to shot basis from the 35 f/1.8. Bokeh rendition can be somewhat subjective anyway.

If you look at reviews and see mostly positive things, but then you see ONE REALLY BAD ONE so that scares you away from the lens... Well, you might as well just plan on keeping what you've got, because you're going to find at least ONE REALLY BAD REVIEW on every lens.

Your price range is slim, with a longer quality lens, usually comes a longer price tag as well. Telephotos can be a lot of money.

This might help us more:

What do you shoot the most?

tatumheiser said:

If you are shooting with a d7000 and don't want the 17-50, I'd say find a used Nikon 35-70 2.8. Do you have a kit lens?

everyday things for the most part.. just day to day life.. i dont go out and take pictures of flowers or buildings or anything like that.. no sports or weddings.. just life. which i guess any lens/slr combo is better than a 100 dollar point and shoot camera haha but im also trying to get into more portrait photography.. im not doing it for money necessarily, so im not trying to spend 2000 dollars on a lens..

If you are shooting with a d7000 and don't want the 17-50, I'd say find a used Nikon 35-70 2.8. Do you have a kit lens?

its not that i dont want the 17-50. iv heard some great things. just thinkin id want something that went past 50 if i was going to get a zoom..
and no, i didnt get the kit lens.. just the 50

tatumheiser said:
everyday things for the most part.. just day to day life.. i dont go out and take pictures of flowers or buildings or anything like that.. no sports or weddings.. just life. which i guess any lens/slr combo is better than a 100 dollar point and shoot camera haha but im also trying to get into more portrait photography.. im not doing it for money necessarily, so im not trying to spend 2000 dollars on a lens..

If you are looking for an all around lens that goes wide and you just take snap shots, I'd say just get a kit lens. I personally would get a 17-50 or the 35-70. I use the 35 1.8 and I don't have any problems with it. At such a cheap price, you can't expect too much. Gotta pay to play.

If you are shooting with flash pretty much any of the lenses mentioned with work. If you have decent light and want to shoot without flash get the 35 1.8 it is nice and sharp even wide open.

Bang for the buck.... get the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm. It will give you plenty of focal length to choose from for most situations. Beware they are variable aperture (consumer grade) zoom lenses, but with enough light, they can produce very sharp images. Add a flash and you're golden until you realize what you REALLY need.

Most reactions

Back