Going Mac? Got a question?

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

For those of you leaving Windows and going to an Apple Macintosh, I know there's a bit of a steep learning curve as you get to know all the shiny new buttons and icons.

Questions? Consider checking the My First Mac Forums... They remember their first day as well, and are willing to get you over the hump.

Right, thought some of you might find this helpful.

Gee And I thought Mac was supposed to be so easy? :)

The problem is its too easy, windows users have come to expect unnecessary complexity.

Example: Windows ME, a piece of an operating system, built on top of Windows 98...running over DOS...thats a recipe for stability!

Gee And I thought Mac was supposed to be so easy? :)

It's overly simple actually...
It dumbs everything down...
But I think they did it alright...works for me.
Now...Vista...while I do like it as an advancement from XP...it's far too idiotproof for me. I can't figure out how to work it...cause it's too dummie oriented...lol
OS X is just right for a compromise between dummie and computer literate users.

Although...I don't think you'd need a guide to switching...all you do is switch. Leave your windows files on yoru windows computer...you probably don't use any of it anyways (almost guaranteed unless it's all photos)

what if you enjoy the windows environment?

Once you go Mac you'll never go back! :lol:

I have a Mac.
I use Windows all the time.

Fanboys don't sit so well with me...

It's kind of weird on a site that frowns on "canon/nikon/pentax/etc" fanboys...though it's perfectly ok to be a Mac fanboy...lol.

Oh well.

They're both great. The hardware is EXACTLY the same. The software may be different, but not so different that it's not like using a computer anymore....lol

what if you enjoy the windows environment?

I'm sorry...

join us...

we don't bite...

that much.

matrix_pill.jpg

I am not really a Mac Fanboy, I just play one on the internet.

In all seriousness, Windows XP right now is perfectly usable.

Vista? Ouch.

Eh. When I get the money for a mac I'm going to go for a Mac book pro. My whole family is on mac but not me, I've used it enough to know that its simple and good for movie/picture/music editing.

Eh. When I get the money for a mac I'm going to go for a Mac book pro. My whole family is on mac but not me, I've used it enough to know that its simple and good for movie/picture/music editing.

OS X is great for all those things.
But have you not realized that so is Windows XP?
Sorry, but since Windows has become such a developed operating system...there are really no advantages to either other than the whole virus thing...
I like editing on my PC far better than on my Mac. The Mac has newer hardware...but the PC is far more usable to me...

All joking aside, I think Sideburns statement is an oversimplification. I have been building PC's since 2 months after the IBM PC was intro'ed in Aug of 1980. I am NO fan of Mr. Softy or his OS. If I could build a PC and run the Mac OS on it, I would have done so 20 years ago. Although, the first Mac I was exposed to was a crude toy with a 8" B&W screen, little RAM and a slow processor compaired to what I was already running. I will admit the OS is more stable and runs faster on a given processor than Windowz, but that's what I am stuck with if I wish to build my own and upgrade very often. It's just part of what I like to do, just another hobby I can't afford.

I have a Mac.
I use Windows all the time.

Fanboys don't sit so well with me...

It's kind of weird on a site that frowns on "canon/nikon/pentax/etc" fanboys...though it's perfectly ok to be a Mac fanboy...lol.

Oh well.

They're both great. The hardware is EXACTLY the same. The software may be different, but not so different that it's not like using a computer anymore....lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back