going to las vegas

johentie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey hey,

So i'm going to Vegas next week and this will be my first trip where i can take nice photos and will spend half my time taking photos.. instead just memory shots etc..

so as a newb with a Canon Rebel XSi and only a stock 18-55 lens i would like to ask

1) what lens should i rent?
- i was thinking of renting a wide angle lens
- the guy at the rental place said to take a 24-105mm EF-S lens

2) besides tripod and slow shutter speed how do i prevent too much light from blinding the shot? i tried taking night shots with lights around and the lights become TOO bright with the slow shutter..

3) what should the ISO be set at for night shots with lots of light?

4) any other tips for shooting vegas at night or during the day..

some examples of pictures i want to take: (from wildnatureimages.com)

071106-133..jpg

081029-070..jpg

071017-030..jpg

Thanks in advance ; >

here are shots i took in NYC with no tripod

6411_127021601042_509886042_3633205_6851625_n.jpg

6411_127021576042_509886042_3633203_4966691_n.jpg

6411_127021616042_509886042_3633206_7927973_n.jpg

see the problem is the lights are already bright in these pictures.. if i slow down the shutter anymore won't the lights become too bright?

well having been to vegas twice, i gotta say that i would think a monopod would be your best bet, and also maybe a decent ISO, because its pretty well lit up.. its a lot brighter then new york, a external flash maybe?

however, first of all, you need to link if photos arent yours ;), and second, those photos you showed seemed like they were taken with a long exposure.. so cheapish tripod should be good.

and for lights beeing too bright, there is a fillter that does that, i forgot what it is, but it reduces the effect of lights.

you should shoot manual.

look at your camera meter. the one below the viewfinder with +/- signs and meter from there (adjust shutter speed and aperture accordingly).

when using a tripod. here are things to rememeber:
1. shoot at lowest iso possible. iso 100 in your case
2. set aperture to a small one like f11-20
3. set timer to 2 seconds, to minimize camera shake when pressing the shutter button
4. set camera to mirror lock up, to minimize the movement due to vibration when your camera takes a shot.
5. turn your IS off

the problem with your NYC photos is that you shot during a dark night. try shooting during sunset or sunrise time. you will get even exposures. also, you probably metered on the bright spots of the picture hence the unbalanced light.

Use your meter (the one built in your camera) and meter accordingly.

That rental lens you listed might be a little better quality then your kit lens but you know that the kit lens is wider angle then the one you plan on renting?? Are you renting for a wider angle then your kit lens or for better quality then your kit lens?

to add :D

i would save the money for renting glass. your kit will do the job :D

maybe an external flash for those night portraits.

NOTE: its nice to go to vegas and take pictures, but you should practice those techniques and know how to use flash.

I went there with the same set up as yours just a rebel and the kit lens. and of course a tripod :D and i wish i had practiced more and knew more then. but thats all experience :D I would have done a better job taking pictures with the kit lens.

well having been to vegas twice, i gotta say that i would think a monopod would be your best bet, and also maybe a decent ISO, because its pretty well lit up.. its a lot brighter then new york, a external flash maybe?

however, first of all, you need to link if photos arent yours ;), and second, those photos you showed seemed like they were taken with a long exposure.. so cheapish tripod should be good.

and for lights beeing too bright, there is a fillter that does that, i forgot what it is, but it reduces the effect of lights.

i mentioned the url haha.. and thanks for you advice ; >

you should shoot manual.

look at your camera meter. the one below the viewfinder with +/- signs and meter from there (adjust shutter speed and aperture accordingly).

when using a tripod. here are things to rememeber:
1. shoot at lowest iso possible. iso 100 in your case
2. set aperture to a small one like f11-20
3. set timer to 2 seconds, to minimize camera shake when pressing the shutter button
4. set camera to mirror lock up, to minimize the movement due to vibration when your camera takes a shot.
5. turn your IS off

the problem with your NYC photos is that you shot during a dark night. try shooting during sunset or sunrise time. you will get even exposures. also, you probably metered on the bright spots of the picture hence the unbalanced light.

Use your meter (the one built in your camera) and meter accordingly.

sweet i will try using my meter more.. and i read that about shooting at night.. to shoot just past sunset.. and thanks for the tripod advise ; >

That rental lens you listed might be a little better quality then your kit lens but you know that the kit lens is wider angle then the one you plan on renting?? Are you renting for a wider angle then your kit lens or for better quality then your kit lens?

hmmm... I would want better quality for sure.. but also a bit wider so i can get in shots like this:

(from this form at this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/188676-las-vegas-you-never-see.html)

pano.jpg

from Spectacular View of the Las Vegas Skyline by Custom Minds Photography

louis-vuiton-288mp.jpg

A wide angle lens will distort some of the image, so I would think the images that you posted above were done with a stitcher.

I have a Canon 10-22mm that I really like for landscape and cityscape shots, might want to look into renting this lens. Do you have a longer lens? Your max range is 55mm with your kit, which is probably why the guy at the store recommended the 24-105mm lens.

For a bit of fun, try using the 15mm fisheye, it's a nice wide angle and you'll get some great slightly oval shaped shots (mimicking curvature of the earth) if you're doing a skyline photo say from the top of one of the tall buildings.

Alternatively, a good enough wide angle lens would prob be the 10-22mm.... Though there's a nice 17-40mm L lens and that could give you superior shots, but it is F4 rather than F3.5 on the 10-22mm.

I go to Vegas quite often. I'm not sure if they will let you to all of these places with a tripod, but try MIX at The HOTEL @ Mandalay Bay. It is on the top floor and looks up the strip. Also, across the 15 at either Voodoo Lounge at Rio or Ghost Bar at the Palms Hotel. All 3 will offer great opportunities to photo buildings at night. Don't forget to drive down to the famous "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign, and take a shot down there. It is cheesy and everyone does it, but with the right angles, it can produce some pictures. Just take Las Vegas Bvd south past all of the hotels. They even have a nice parking lot there now.

BTW, the panorama type picture looking from the Belagio lake across the street is highly edited as the hotels pictured are not there. Many are on the same side of the street as the Belagio is

Have fun, and remember what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (unless it is captured for eternity on film).

-Andy

Most reactions

Back