Going to Las Vegas

iluvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to Las Vegas tomorrow and I am planning to take some night shots... Should I take it in RAW or set the white balance or both?? I am still confused on when to use RAW and when set the custom W/B? I had problem with night shots before (Too ornage) and it was suggested to use W/B and some suggested using RAW...

Either method will work, but it may be tricky to do a custom WB in near darkness with most of your subject at infinity distance. Try some of the preset WB settings if there are any.

Rob

So if I use the custom W/B then I don't have to shoot in RAW? Is this a stupid question??

I wouldn't recommend RAW as a means to avoid selecting the right WB... what RAW will do is allow you to change the WB afterwards. So if you take RAW pics and get a yellowish tint in all of them... you can load that file onto your PC and change the WB to correct that tint.

I also don't think a color tint is 100% the result of incorrect WB but I'm sure someone else can verify that or provide more details.

The WB correction is one of the benefits of shooting RAW. My recommendation would be to leave the WB on Auto... shoot in RAW and then correct them if needed.

If storage isn't an issue (you have a big mem card and a way to store the files on your PC / DVD / CD / etc.) I would recommend shooting RAW for most if not all instances. It gives you more options and a bit more detail with the trade off being the file sizes.

Best of luck and post some shots when you return!!

Most reactions

Back