Going to Montreal Grand Prix F1 race need advice.

iluvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to Montreal Grand Prix F1 this weekend and I just wanted to know whether I should even try to take pictures of the race with my normal canon lenses. And if yes what settings should I use? I don't have a fast lense.
It's going to be sunny and bright.

Also, is there anyone from Montreal here? Where are the good spots for taking pictures around the city?

I don't have any advice, but wanted to tell you that i'm insanely jealous.

The lenses you have will work just fine. If you end up having too much background while shooting wide you can always crop. Use a high shutter speed to freeze motion, and maybe a slightly lower f-stop for some depth of field.

What about ISO? Should I set it to high ISO? Like 800 or 1600? Or do I get too much noise?

First off, I am SO jealous of you right now :D. Secondly, always keep your 75-300 lens on; even pro photographers need to be kept a long distance away from the action. Third depending on how fast the cars will be going where you are, use a very fast shutter speed (about 1/320-1/500 for a panning shot, and the max SS for freeze shots).

To answer your question, it depends on how bright it is. you can probably get away with using ISO 400, but be prepared to use 800 or 1,600 if you want to completely freeze the action.

I've been to several GPs. My experience is that you can get some fun shots of cars to remember the event by, but don't try to be a racing photographer. You don't have the access, the gear, or the experience. I don't mean that in a disparaging way, I just want to save you from some disappointment. Instead, focus on a different style of shooting, and play to your strengths... or at least something simpler.

My advice: shoot the people, not the cars!

Focus on the other fans around you, the excitement in the grand stands, the action in front of the sales booths, all of what actually differentiates your GP from the one in Dubai, Shanghai or Silverstone. Cars on track look just like cars on track... there's tens of thousands of great shots of that already. 20 years from now there will be lots of car images, but a lot fewer of the fans.

Thank you all..... Wow! I didn't know F1 was so popular in US!!

Thanks for the advice too .. I will try my best and if the pictures were decent I will post a few here for all the F1 fans!

Very good point Iron Flatline. You are right my pictures will never be as good as the professioanl photographers. But the people and excitement is something that I can hopefully catch! Thanks

All the good advice has been given, and everything's been said. But I still want to say it anyway: You've got a great photographic opportunity here. The cars, the fans, the city. Don't take it for granted. Some people live in very uninteresting places and can never shoot these things. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back