What's new

Golden Knight

seakritter

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
347
Reaction score
23
Location
North Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just feeling patriotic today, I hope you like it.
 

Attachments

  • $image-2222635205.webp
    $image-2222635205.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 96
Feel patriotic every day. Thanks for sharing!
 
It's pretty underexposed and the white balance is way off. The stripes in the flag should be red and white, not red and blue.
 
Either push it down to a pure silhouette, or lighten the guy up. The latter actually seems like a bust to me, you lose the richness of the sky and the guy and chute just are not that interesting when you can see the detail. If you're gonna do anything with the white balance, make sure the sunlight parts of the flag are white, not the shaded ones. Those are greenish blue because they're in the shade of a green or blue object, and they should stay colored otherwise they're going to look weird.
 
Maybe this is a little better, maybe a little bit washed, let me know , he is dressed in black and so is the Shute , not sure you will see much detail on them
 

Attachments

  • $image-1119795070.webp
    $image-1119795070.webp
    60 KB · Views: 61
Maybe this is a little better, maybe a little bit washed, let me know , he is dressed in black and so is the Shute , not sure you will see much detail on them
A lot better. The white in the flag is white now.

I've seen the Golden Knights jump, and I do remember those black jumpsuits. You have to meter on the jumper and still overexpose some or otherwise you just get a silhouette (I have a bunch of silhouettes). Best thing is to meter a gray card and then overexpose about 1 stop to compensate for the shadow of the parachute. Even then something is probably going to blow out, the flag or edges of the parachute or something.
 
SCraig said:
A lot better. The white in the flag is white now.

I've seen the Golden Knights jump, and I do remember those black jumpsuits. You have to meter on the jumper and still overexpose some or otherwise you just get a silhouette (I have a bunch of silhouettes). Best thing is to meter a gray card and then overexpose about 1 stop to compensate for the shadow of the parachute. Even then something is probably going to blow out, the flag or edges of the parachute or something.

Thank you so much for that tip, they are supposed to be jumping here in the fall, I'll give that a try. Also thank for the comment, I think it looks much better also, guess I tried to get too much blue in the sky.
 
SCraig said:
A lot better. The white in the flag is white now.

I've seen the Golden Knights jump, and I do remember those black jumpsuits. You have to meter on the jumper and still overexpose some or otherwise you just get a silhouette (I have a bunch of silhouettes). Best thing is to meter a gray card and then overexpose about 1 stop to compensate for the shadow of the parachute. Even then something is probably going to blow out, the flag or edges of the parachute or something.

Thank you so much for that tip, they are supposed to be jumping here in the fall, I'll give that a try. Also thank for the comment, I think it looks much better also, guess I tried to get too much blue in the sky.
Lucky you! We have only one airshow a year around here and it's in May. I used to live in Clarksville, TN which adjoins Ft. Campbell, KY so I frequently heard about aviation or military events. Now I hear nothing so I expect to see some good jumper shots from you later this fall ;)

It's not difficult to fixate on one aspect of a photograph and not realize that in doing so we compromised another aspect. Everything is a balancing act, we trade something here to get something there. In your case you just went a bit overboard on the blue channel. Not difficult to fix, but sometimes hard to notice.
 
SCraig said:
Lucky you! We have only one airshow a year around here and it's in May. I used to live in Clarksville, TN which adjoins Ft. Campbell, KY so I frequently heard about aviation or military events. Now I hear nothing so I expect to see some good jumper shots from you later this fall ;)

It's not difficult to fixate on one aspect of a photograph and not realize that in doing so we compromised another aspect. Everything is a balancing act, we trade something here to get something there. In your case you just went a bit overboard on the blue channel. Not difficult to fix, but sometimes hard to notice.

So very true, thanks again.
We use to get two Air Shows a year here, now it's down to just one, I have sooooo many air show shots, I haven't post much of them. I really did think there was much interest here.
 
So very true, thanks again.
We use to get two Air Shows a year here, now it's down to just one, I have sooooo many air show shots, I haven't post much of them. I really did think there was much interest here.
I love all things aviation ;) Both my parents were pilots and actually met at an airport. I guess it's safe to say it's in my blood.
 
SCraig said:
I love all things aviation ;) Both my parents were pilots and actually met at an airport. I guess it's safe to say it's in my blood.

Ok I'll post a few, see how it goes
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom