Gone are the days...

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Today is the last day of E6 processing in Jackson, WY. Quite possibly the last E6 in a 90 mile radius. I am to blame; along with every other local photographer. Personally my bill has gone from 60 dollars a month to barely 60 dollars a year.

C41 is comparable. I can not remember the last time I shot the stuff. Digi is where I am at now. I love it. BUT... I will miss running to the lab to make the ol' "In at 10am out by three" deadline. Editing film on a lightbox. Bumping elbows with the photo crew and discussing idiot clients etc.

I guess my question is: Know any good Tungsten C41? Are my ol' hot lights useless? Who here still shoots transparencies? (big up! and keep it real).

I just had to vent. Next stop is the other film threads and the trusty B&H catalog. Surely all is not lost; I am sure that I can just ship it somewhere. That sounds a little in convenient to me.

craig said:
Today is the last day of E6 processing in Jackson, WY. Quite possibly the last E6 in a 90 mile radius. I am to blame; along with every other local photographer. Personally my bill has gone from 60 dollars a month to barely 60 dollars a year.

C41 is comparable. I can not remember the last time I shot the stuff. Digi is where I am at now. I love it. BUT... I will miss running to the lab to make the ol' "In at 10am out by three" deadline. Editing film on a lightbox. Bumping elbows with the photo crew and discussing idiot clients etc.

I guess my question is: Know any good Tungsten C41? Are my ol' hot lights useless? Who here still shoots transparencies? (big up! and keep it real).

I just had to vent. Next stop is the other film threads and the trusty B&H catalog. Surely all is not lost; I am sure that I can just ship it somewhere. That sounds a little in convenient to me.

Oh no!... I didn't think they would stop that, with so many photographers there! Did every camera store go out on you (Broadway and Cache St.)?? That's a shame... I guess you'll have to do E6 processing through mail now and that's a bummer.

I still shoot color slides, I'm going to pop some in my Leicas for this coming summer and I'm bringing the film with me. I don't imagine tehy'll sell any slide film there anymore since they don't process it anymore.

That's a stinker IMHO!!!

That's sad. Coincidentally this happens to coincide on the same day that I just found out that our city's local pro camera shop (and the only one that I know of anywhere around here), has closed its doors permanently after serving the area for over 50 years. In fact, I was just about to take my first roll of Velvia to that shop today before I knew the're gone. So now the only place I have to go is the Ritz Camera that always scratches my film and charges too high. For some reason, it seems that every time I go on vacation some shop that I love closes its doors. Last vacation it was a nice deli on South Street and this time (I went on a cruise last week) it's the camera shop. It looks like film is dying, and I am sad to see it go as I am quite a film enthusiast. :(

Everyone will still be doing C41 and will be open. You may be thinking of D&D Camera Coral. "Good peoples". They are still open and they carry refrigerated slide film. I should ask if they will continue to carry it when their supply runs out. The infamous Mountain Camera Supply (Broadway and Millward) shut it's doors last september which was a huge bummer.

There are a lot of photographers here. I was surprised when they stopped the service. The connivence and near film quality (?) of digi is just too hard to beat. Clients like art galleries will still need transparencies. I think. I do know that they will have a tough time planning their shots days in advance or pay a hefty shipping fee.

Buying the film before the trip is always a good idea. PM me if you roll thru here.

I hope film is not dying Unimaxium. The real conundrum may be; on what level do you take your photography on? When I was a young (1986 thru 1992) photo assistant we shot only transparencies. The film had to be perfect out of the camera. As we all know that little detail can be mind boggling. Arguably the resolution and colour of film is second to none.

On the other hand the advent of photoshop and the 90 second photo lab has changed the craft. I remember having to re shoot because we left the overhead lights on. It would have taken close to a minute to re touch the shot in pshop. Today's tech is certainly different and exciting.

Pleasing the masses has always been something that photography has had to deal with.

Most reactions

Back